PDA

View Full Version : Flame Skimmer

Diane Miller
09-07-2014, 06:03 PM
At least that's what they're called over here. I don't know how colloquial the names are.

Canon 5D3, 300mm f/2.8 IS + 2X + 25mmm extension tube for closer focus. (This is 85% of the full frame.) Tripod and Wimberley II head. I wasn't sure how well this combo would focus, but it did OK with the center sensor. (Don't think I tried any others, figuring I was on thin ice as it was.) This is almost full frame, and a stack of 3 different focal points, keeping the tripod locked and I finally went to MF for speed in re-focusing. These things twitch constantly so I was lucky to get this one out of several attempts.

ISO 1600, 1/320, f/13. Basic LR adjustments then to PS for stacking and masking, and a little sharpening with Focus Magic (on a separate layer so the changes aren't cooked into the master file). Best to sharpen after resizing but I've gotten lazy and sometimes will sharpen the full sized file (judiciously) before exporting a JPEG.

Kaushik Balakumar
09-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Beautiful image Diane. Looks like the dragonfly is posing to show off its wings !
It did occur to me that the DF could be turning a little more towards you, but in that case, the wings won't be seen the way hey are now.

Jonathan Ashton
09-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Wonderful shot amazing DOF - very well done, I like it a lot.

Diane Miller
09-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys! Going back out today to try my luck with ones in flight! Don't know if it's seasonal or not, but I haven't found many perched lately. They all seem to be mating and depositing eggs. There is a busy bird hanging out in the reeds -- don't know what kind it is but I think it's been eating them.

Steve Maxson
09-12-2014, 03:12 PM
What a striking dragonfly (and easy to see how it gets its name!) and good job with the in-the-field stacking! And set against the blue sky, too! My only suggestion for a tweak is that you might try to tone down the very bright area of the perch between the two wings. This is very nicely done! I hope you have some luck with your flight shots - before the birds get them all.

Diane Miller
09-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Good catch on that bright spot, Steve. I hadn't noticed it. Will definitely fix it. Thanks!

I got a few halfway decent flight shots but not that worthy of putting here. (I may do one anyway, just to demonstrate that I'm trying!) A gorgeously-lighted green heron made a foray out of the rushes the other day, when I had the lens set to close range. Sigh...