PDA

View Full Version : Tern

Diane Miller
09-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Canon 5D3, 300mm f/2.8 IS + 2X, ISO 1600, f/10, 1/4000. Handheld. Basic LR tonal work and to PS for some NR on the BG, with NikDfine, but it barely showed any noise. Cropped a lot -- this is 25% of the original frame.

I finally got off my deck and went out in search of some "real" birds, and lucked out with terns up the coast from Monterey. Someone said a warm upwelling had brought anchovies in, and the terns followed. I'm not sure what kind this is -- there were a couple of different kinds, unless maybe some were juveniles. I handheld for four two-hour sessions over three days and was surprised that I didn't have sore muscles. It's the old 300 IS and I left the hood on to try to protect the front element -- that's a fair bit of weight for someone my size (and age, but we'll leave that part out).

The light was great when I got there and promptly fogged in for the three days I had there. Another forecast blown. But I like the resulting white skies and high-key look.

WillieHall
09-07-2014, 07:32 PM
I really love doing terns and think you did this one nicely with an angelic type background. Good on the noise with that crop, I need to upgrade my 7D, I think. It looks to be a Elegant Tern, they are south migrating now, I saw many north of SF bay last couple weeks. I had the same happen at Bodega Bay, half day sun, 3 days of fog and only id photos to show for it, but you gotta go to find out!

Ian Wilson
09-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Hi Diane, I also like the high-key you achieved against the white sky. Nice work with the 300 mm + 2x extender. I believe I can just make out a weak highlight in the eye which I would be tempted to brighten a little. Regards, Ian.

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Lovely 'clean' shot Diane! I love the wing position and the strong eye focus on something below. Nice feather detail on the body too. All in all a great shot!

Joseph Przybyla
09-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Beautiful tern Dianne. I like everything about the image, wish it were mine.

Tom van den Brandt
09-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Great quality for a 25% crop at ISO 1600. Good details and nice pose.

Cheers, Tom

Stu Bowie
09-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Hi Diane, lovely high key image, well exposed, and I like the inflight pose. I feel a touch of contrast wont harm the image. :w3

Diane Miller
09-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'll do a little eye work and give it a bit more contrast -- good points. I tend to let contrast go too low in bringing out detail in darks and lights.

Arthur Morris
09-09-2014, 07:24 AM
With that long bill the bird is surely an Elegant Tern, molting to winter plumage. I love the pose, the high key look, and both wing positions. The big problem (for me:)) is that the bird's head is angled slightly away from the back of the camera and thus from the viewer. Brightening the WHITEs on the neck and increasing the contrast about the head and face would make this better.

Diane Miller
09-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks everyone! Good suggestions! Here's a touchup.

Arthur Morris
09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
YAW. The repost is a nice improvement.

Norm Dulak
09-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Hi Diane. Your repost is a work of art. Beautiful!

Diane Miller
09-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks, everyone! The dreary light wasn't so bad after all. I think I'll add a soft catchlight -- there's no hint of one to work with, and too much noise if I start digging out detail in the dark areas.