PDA

View Full Version : sharing the data

MiroslavMaric
09-07-2014, 03:13 PM
60D, MP-E65mm, handheld, f/8, 1/250, ISO320, Twin flash.
PP: selective NR and microcontrast.
Full size of photo: 4656 x 3048 pixels.

This is the moment when 2 ants share information of food or building materials location. It takes less then 1 second to share the data and they do the discussion on different places. The photo is not attractive but it's hard to take such shot.

Thanks for viewing and CC.

Cheers!
Miro

Diane Miller
09-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Wow! I think it's very attractive, both artistically and as documentation. (How can they exchange such information?) The colors are gorgeous, the heads are amazingly sharp and the focus falls off in a beautiful way. And I'm in awe of anyone who can handhold that lens.

Artistically, I might be tempted to crop out most of the OOF ant on the right, and lower saturation the orange OOF area at the top.

MiroslavMaric
09-07-2014, 11:57 PM
How can they exchange such information?

Thanks Diane!

The chemicals called pheromones helped them to communicate. More details here (http://www.antark.net/pheromones.html).

Cheers!
Miro

Kaushik Balakumar
09-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Beautiful image, Miro. Yes, I can completely understand how difficult it is to make such images. You just have a moment's time before the ants get out of your DoF and with MP-E65, it's probably even tougher!
Absolutely great job here !

Jonathan Ashton
09-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Very well done you have my admiration, it is not easy to get something this small and active so well focused.

Steve Maxson
09-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Hi Miro. The MP-E is a great lens, but difficult to work with - especially with active subjects like ants. You achieved excellent sharpness within your very limited DOF - making this a very strong behavioral image. You might consider toning down the very bright areas on the left side of the image. :S3:

Mitch Carucci
10-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Amazing photo, and hand held! Great.