PDA

View Full Version : A Lion's Tale...

Gabriela Plesea
09-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone!

Sunday evening here in Africa and a pleasant end of the day... I was just wondering whether you had enough of my lion images... and lion tales, of course...

Hope you all had a wonderful week-end, here's something to put a smile on your face...Image taken at about H14:5 with the subjects in the shade, harsh light yet the sun was barely filtering through tall shrubs above. Not ideal conditions but the moment was worth capturing, comments and critique of any nature welcome and appreciated.

Nikon D3S
Nikon 500mm F4
ISO 800
F6.3
1/1000s

Kind regards,

Andreas Liedmann
09-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Hi Gabriela , great IQ and very good detail and tones .The view /expression is making this .Nice crop .

Great job :cheers:. But the colors .......... minor issue

Gabriela Plesea
09-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Dear Andreas,

Thank you so much for comments and positive critique:w3

I am glad you mentioned the colour issue and I must admit I have been wondering myself about this. Not just now, but ever since I posted my previous image, taken at the same location in similar conditions and having received similar comments about the colour, or lack of it. I looked carefully at the RAW images again and found that my processed versions are more vibrant than the originals. Perhaps not vibrant enough? Not sure whether I should warm them up to my/your/others' liking, or leave them be as in "this is how it was at the time". A dilemma for me, and I would really appreciate the views of the other members on this. This is Africa, end of the winter, harsh sun in-between the clouds, it is also mid-day and my subjects are in the shade. Not ideal, since everything looks grey and dull. Another important factor here to be mentioned, these are subadult lions and still light in colour, kind of light grey, save for a few spots here and there. I surely can bring this closer to what we would like it to be, at the same time I remember looking at those lions and thinking " this is going to be a problem when it comes to PP work". The problem was there in the first place...Nevertheless, the pose was too cute to just sit and watch.

I really appreciate you taking the time to improve on my image and I thank you from the heart for your kind comments, cannot wait for us to get together and discuss some of the issues that come up during PP work, I know it will help me make up my mind about certain issues and I am already busy making of list of topics to discuss with you:w3

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
09-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Hi Gabriela - Cute pose with the tail over the head of the one on the left but for me the prominence of the rear of the one on the right detracts from the image. There's more light hitting the lion on the right than the left so it doesn't work for me. Sorry.

Interesting issue about the color because my initial impression was that the lions were more gray/red/brown than the tawny color I'm used to seeing. However, it seemed that you, Andre and Carl's posts all had similar colors so I thought the coloring of these lions was a little different. I think the shade augments the cooler colors too. It's always up to the individual photographer as to how far to stray from what they saw. All we ask is that for BPN purposes you disclose what you choose to do.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
09-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Hello Rachel! I understand, didn't think this would be everyone's cup of tea but hoped to bring a smile on your face:S3:
I think you are right about the shade affecting colour, I have thought about that even at the time I was taking those images. Will look at the other images taken in better light and compare.
Just something interesting, did you know that in the tuft of a lion's tail there is a sharp talon the size of a large dog's claw? It consists of fused tail bones:S3:

Have a wonderful evening!

Warmest regards,

Carl Walker
09-08-2014, 11:24 AM
You guys are like flies on my wall checking to see what I'm working on and then post similar ones:2eyes2:. Mine is minus tail in mouth but with a paw precariously placed near his valuables.

What is interesting first off is what seems to be a reflection in the eye from that light patch showing up in the area close to the eye. I think we were all waiting for the other guy to jump into the air suddenly from mischievous bite. I like the way you have processed this. This must be full frame as my 300 comes close to this. The colours on mine are slightly richer but not too far off yours. I obviously like this framing as it is similar to mine. I like it and the details are good.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have the same dilemma and issues that you have voiced. To add to what you have already mentioned with regards to lighting conditions etc, the donga (local term used here for an eroded area that often occurs at foothills and rivers or drainage lines) where these lions settled for the day have layered soils varying from the darkest of either deep red or cotton black soils to lighter ones. To add to this they have travelled through burnt areas at times and anyone who has walked through ash laden areas will know what I am talking about. I believe this will affect colour casts too.
Well done and hope the jaw is not to uncomfortable after dentist visit.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Gabriela Plesea
09-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Please post it Carl!!!
I chose to have this lion's modesty revealed only because of the troublesome tick. Thought it was cute. I sharpened the tick, by the way...Yep, I too was waiting for a reaction but would have missed it, since my lens was too big. I now need a 70-200 lens:2eyes2:, and does this lust for new gear ever stop?

This is indeed full frame, save for a tad on the RHS.

Glad we are in the same boat, and still so happy we were in the same vehicle at the time we took these images. We had an amazing time! Thank you for info/explanation about the black soils, I too remember seeing some ash from the burnt trees here and there and that might explain the colouring on the lions' fur? Or perhaps I am using this as a good excuse for sloppy PP work:tinysmile_shy_t:

The maxillofacial guy did a great job and I am 100%, no chance I am disappearing from BPN again and you might have to put up with more lion images from me:bg3:
Did some B/W conversions tonight, kind of OOTB and planning a rework before I post, will email you those.

Have a wonderful evening, thank you for taking the time to view and share your thoughts!

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2014, 05:02 PM
A quirky and indeed awkward moment, Gabriela :eek3:...
I like how you framed/cropped it, and a good discussion on colour/warmth. I used to shoot with overtly warm WB settings when I started out, but have since made peace with reflecting the naturally occurring cooler colour tones we often see in the bush (especially in mixed light or shade)...being careful for those pesky blue casts in the shadows of course. I think either version can go down well - it depends on your interpretation of the scene.

By the way - the 70-200 is a stock-staple wildlife lens, better get one soon, I use it quite a lot :w3 (not helping, am I???)

Anette Mossbacher
09-09-2014, 01:03 AM
Hi Gabriela,

had a da smile on my face, thank you :))
Read the discussion on the color and tone and...
IMHO it is right as you like it in color. You can go close as it was and as Rachel says, stray off where you like it best.
Love the tail in the mouth and the look on the face.

Have a great day

ciao
Anette

Gabriela Plesea
09-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Thank you so much Morkel and Anette!

And nope, you are not helping dearest Morkel:w3, ha ha, I am busy getting a quote from Nikon on a 200 lens!

Really appreciate your comments, I sometimes post to make you smile and to share a special moment...I do not think I can improve this really so there won't be an RP. I might try a B/W at some stage. I am happy and grateful for your response and feedback, thank you from the heart.

Have a great evening,