PDA

View Full Version : Bohemian Waxwing tossing up a berry.

Tom van den Brandt
09-07-2014, 08:28 AM

When there is not enough food in Scandinavia the Bohemian Waxwings come to feed on the berries in the Netherlands. Some years we have invasions and other years we don't see one at all. Every year in Oktober, November I hope that they will come because they are such beautiful birds. So maybe again this year:S3:
This photo is from a few years back but it's still one of my favorites. I hope you like it too.
Camera on a tripod and try to anticipate the moment that he will toss up the berry, then push the shutter button and hope you get the right shot. This was one out of 7.
Cropped a bit for composition further normal processing in LR

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500mm F4
ISO 800
F 6.3
1/800sec

Cheers, Tom

Bill Dix
09-07-2014, 08:31 AM
This would certainly be one of my favorites, too. Super image. Love the colors, the comp, the position of the bird, the nicely timed action, and the detail. Tough to get fine feather detail on waxwings, since their plumage is so silky-fine. Wish it were mine.

William Dickson
09-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Very lovely image Tom. You captured the moment perfectly. I can't wait now till winter time and hope they return to Scotland this year aswell :S3:. Well done

keith mitchell
09-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Wonder if it will be a Waxwing year this year, hope so.Totally agree with Bills comment and like him wish it was mine.

Keith.

Jamie Medford
09-07-2014, 03:57 PM
A lovely image, the only thing that detracts from it from my perspective is the out of focus branch on the right hand side, which I would be tempted to have a go at cloning out. Otherwise great pose and lovely diffuse background. I am also hoping for some of these visitors to the UK this winter.

Daniel Cadieux
09-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Very nice action you froze here with the berry perfectly placed between the mandibles. This guy has quite the crown! Great colours, and of course the berries are beautifully vivid. I'm OK with the oof branch in upper right corner as it nicely fills that area, I would, however, come up a tiny bit from the bottom to eliminate the oof berries down there.

Pretty cool how we are in different parts of the world but experience the same thing...every October / November (and then overwintering) I too hope to get an influx of this species coming over from more western parts of Canada.

Tom van den Brandt
09-08-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm OK with the oof branch in upper right corner as it nicely fills that area, I would, however, come up a tiny bit from the bottom to eliminate the oof berries down there.

Pretty cool how we are in different parts of the world but experience the same thing...every October / November (and then overwintering) I too hope to get an influx of this species coming over from more western parts of Canada.

Thanks Daniel, I think your right about cutting of a bit from the bottom. Good point.

It is indeed cool that we experience the same thing. Do you also get the Bohemian or do you have the Cedar Waxwing?

Tom van den Brandt
09-08-2014, 08:50 AM
A lovely image, the only thing that detracts from it from my perspective is the out of focus branch on the right hand side, which I would be tempted to have a go at cloning out.

I have been thinking about that too Jamie but decided that it was OK because it doesn't bother the bird or the action.

Stu Bowie
09-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi Tom, a big welcome to BPN from me, and hope you have fun along the way. Good angled pose, and well timed to capture the berry between the mandibles. I really like the various splash of colours throughout the image.

Jim Crosswell
09-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Beautiful image Tom. I like the berries, pose, details, sharpness, exposure and perfect timing. Good suggestions above.

Tom van den Brandt
09-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi Tom, a big welcome to BPN from me, and hope you have fun along the way. Good angled pose, and well timed to capture the berry between the mandibles. I really like the various splash of colours throughout the image.

Thank you for the welcome words Stuart, it's appreciated:S3:

Cheers, Tom

Binu John
09-10-2014, 01:16 AM
What a beautiful shot! Excellent light, details and colors and perfect timing! The BG is awesome. TFS