PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rock Thrush (male) with catch.

Tom van den Brandt
09-06-2014, 08:08 AM

This photo was taken last year on the Greek island Lesvos. There had been a nest on a steeb rock ledge but the young had already fletched. There were 3 and they were flying around and both parents were still feeding them. I parked the car nearby a large rock and just waited. I had noticed that he sometimes came looking for food nearby or under this rock and in a few ours I had about 3 or 4 moments in which he returned and I could make a few photos. Here he popped up from behind the rock with a caterpillar.

The photo was cropped a little and I took back the highlights on the rock. Further normal processing in LR5

Taken from the car on a beanbag
Canon 1D-X
Canon 500mm + 1.4 converter
Iso 400
F 8
1/80sec

All the best, Tom

Randy Stout
09-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Tom:

Sharp, well exposed, caterpillar a plus. Good call on toning down the rock highlights. Head up pose adds interest.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2014, 12:33 PM
The subject and its prey look a amazing with super details and colours. Nice BG. I'd have preferred this fella perch atop and closer on the rock to avoid having the large oof FG...but I realize these guys have minds of their own most of the time:S3:

keith mitchell
09-06-2014, 01:13 PM
The detail and colour on this bird looks excellent, it's eye is amazing ,great piece of work.

Regards Keith.

nick clayton
09-06-2014, 01:16 PM
The nice gentle light shows off the cool blue colour of the bird complimented by the warm background and caterpillar colours. Great pose with the caterpillar Tom.

Graeme Cox
09-07-2014, 06:01 AM
Nice capture Tom. The different blue tones are great, crisp, sharp image..

Tom van den Brandt
09-07-2014, 06:50 AM
I'd have preferred this fella perch atop and closer on the rock to avoid having the large oof FG...but I realize these guys have minds of their own most of the time:S3:

I totally agree with you Daniel and I was hoping he would but he came a little bit closer on a few other frames but never on top:w3

Diane Miller
09-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Beautiful detail in soft light -- you can't choose where they will sit.