PDA

View Full Version : pied-billed grebe

Enrique Patino
09-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Young bird. Taken today at a local pond. Bird was coming in and out of direct light. I rather like this one. What so you think?

7D, 700mm, f/8, 1/1600, ISO 800, HH, audio used

Randy Stout
09-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Enrique:

I rather like it too! Great, intimate shooting angle, head position, exposure and sharpness.

Not always easy shooting conditions with the changing lighting, but you captured it beautifully.

Cheers

Randy

Tom van den Brandt
09-06-2014, 05:38 AM
I like it a lot, great details, good light and the eye is beautiful.

Cheers, Tom

Steve Spenceley
09-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Stunning shot, very well captures, nice POV, nice details, great exposure.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Enrique, I think you nailed it! Great exposure in what seemed like tricky lighting. The eye is what really draws me in to this one.

Joseph Przybyla
09-06-2014, 08:07 AM
I like it also Enrique. Wonderful image.

Ron Conlon
09-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Great work taking advantage of the light.

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2014, 12:21 PM
I love it! Such an intimate picture of this youngster. Great colours and vibrant BG, low angle, sharpness. One of my favorites from you....

nick clayton
09-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Great lighting and nice background colour. I also love the feather detail and water drops. Good head angle too, nice one Enrique.

Enrique Patino
09-06-2014, 10:47 PM
thank you all for your comments and feedback.

Diane Miller
09-07-2014, 09:39 PM
I love the detail in the bird -- and what a cute one it is! Is there any chance you got more of the reflection?

The BG colors is a nice complement to the bluish tones, but I'm wondering how it would compare to do a Selective Color and bend the yellows just a little away from cyan to a slightly warmer and softer tone. That would be more analogous to the colors in the bird and still set off the blues nicely.

Enrique Patino
09-07-2014, 11:06 PM
I love the detail in the bird -- and what a cute one it is! Is there any chance you got more of the reflection?

The BG colors is a nice complement to the bluish tones, but I'm wondering how it would compare to do a Selective Color and bend the yellows just a little away from cyan to a slightly warmer and softer tone. That would be more analogous to the colors in the bird and still set off the blues nicely.

No, I did not get any more of the reflection. this is almost FF.

Here is a version as you suggested. I took off 25 point of cyan from the yellow in selective color. I remember the color being as presented in the OP, but here you are... ;) And thanks for your comments

Diane Miller
09-07-2014, 11:45 PM
It's all maker's choice, and a gorgeous image with any interpretation. My choice is usually to present colors that are more analogous than complementary, especially for an observer who wasn't there. Just for the sake of illustration of the idea, in doing so here I would even go further with reducing the cyans in the yellow, and add a touch of magenta to them. It's interesting when you click the adjustment layer on and off that this gives more punch to the warm browns on the gorgeous little grebe.

Enrique Patino
09-08-2014, 11:51 AM
It's all maker's choice, and a gorgeous image with any interpretation. My choice is usually to present colors that are more analogous than complementary, especially for an observer who wasn't there. Just for the sake of illustration of the idea, in doing so here I would even go further with reducing the cyans in the yellow, and add a touch of magenta to them. It's interesting when you click the adjustment layer on and off that this gives more punch to the warm browns on the gorgeous little grebe.

thanks for your input and suggestions. it is always great to hear others' take on an image ...