PDA

View Full Version : Morning at Blowing Rocks

Don Lacy
09-05-2014, 07:24 AM
I reworked a scan of one of my favorite images from when I was shooting slide film. This image was made on Velvia 50 with a EOS 3 camera ( which I still have along with my Elan7) and at the time a brand new 17-40 f/4 and a two stop hard edge ND filter. I used to love shooting slide film with Velvia and Extachrome VS being my favorites I just love the rich vibrant colors they would produce. The colors on this image have not been enhanced from what the scan captured if you viewed the slide on a light table this is what you would see as far as colors go.

Diane Miller
09-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Ah, yes - I remember those magentas!! I used to love Velvia! And for a high-contrast film you did an excellent job of holding down the brightness in the sky.

But, would you ever go back?

Don Lacy
09-06-2014, 09:14 AM
But, would you ever go back?
No My 6D surpasses the image quality of medium format film and why shoot analog just to scan it into digital form.

Morkel Erasmus
09-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Simply a stunning scene and moment, Don! I never shot film but love that Velvia look for sure.
Great detail in the lights and darks here...

Don Railton
09-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Wonderful colour Don...! I like that there is still plenty of detail in the sand and rocks in the FG and yet you achieved a psychedelic 70's coloured sky...

DON

Andrew McLachlan
09-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi Don, lovely image for sure...no tweaks required...I do miss those Velvia days but like you my D800 surpasses the image quality.

Hazel Grant
09-10-2014, 08:58 AM
comments above cover it. My first thought was wow, should be in OOTB with those color tweaks....and then I find they are real! What a catch. Beautiful.

Don Lacy
09-10-2014, 10:08 AM
comments above cover it. My first thought was wow, should be in OOTB with those color tweaks....and then I find they are real! What a catch. Beautiful.
That depends on what your definition is of real, are they an accurate representation of the slide yes, are they an accurate representation of what I saw no. If I had shot the scene with a different film the color pallet would be different, unlike digital where you have many artistic choices when shooting slides your only choice was the film you used, another reason I would not go back to shooting slide film.

Hazel Grant
09-14-2014, 02:48 PM
ok. thanks for clearing that up. Guess I was thinking back to the days of when I grew up on the east coast area that didn't see sunsets. I remember seeing paintings of the West and those colorful pink, cyan etc skies and thinking "Why don't they paint them the way they really look?" Then I moved to California and saw how "real" those paintings were. Skies really could be cyan or bright yellow, etc. A wonderful learning curve for me.

Neil Burton
09-15-2014, 03:55 AM
Wonderful colours and gorgeous scene. I remember when the stallwarts said "Digital will never beat film!"

Rachel Hollander
09-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Hi Don - beautiful color palette and great detail in the fg.

TFS,
Rachel