PDA

View Full Version : Sniffing the air (C)

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-04-2014, 11:08 AM
I love the character and life experiene portrayed on this buffalo's face as it was sniffing the air when I was getting to close for comfort.

Reds reduced, one round of mild USM in PS. Highlights reigned in with LM (Curves). Cropped to about 50% of original.

All C & C's welcome.

Nikon D600
AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF + TC14E II @ 210mm
f/8 | 1/500s | 800 ISO | beanbag

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Hi Tobie- Interesting pose and the comp works well. Reds look better too. The harsh light just really wasn't on your side on this one though.

TFS,
Rachel

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Hi Tobie- Interesting pose and the comp works well. Reds look better too. The harsh light just really wasn't on your side on this one though. TFS, Rachel

Thanks for looking & responding Rachel! Nope, the sun wasn't my best friend and as Murphy would have it, the best scenes were always with me on the shade side. But, it's expected of us to make the most of it... :w3

Morkel Erasmus
09-06-2014, 07:24 AM
Cool expression Tobie. You handled the harsh light fairly well here...agree that better light would have elevated the image. Did you take any in the earlier hours of the morning?

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Cool expression Tobie. You handled the harsh light fairly well here...agree that better light would have elevated the image. Did you take any in the earlier hours of the morning?

Thanks Morkel! Nope, unfortunately I went to the reserve on the spur of the moment - only entered after 11h00.

Gabriela Plesea
09-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Love the expression here Tobie, the BG is also great with those bits of orange matching this Dagga Boy's lip! The framing is perfect and you handled the harsh light quite well, this is one of your best images from what I have seen, well done and hope to see more from you. Whenever possible, try and seek some golden light early mornings and late afternoons:w3

Have a great week-end,

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Love the expression here Tobie, the BG is also great with those bits of orange matching this Dagga Boy's lip! The framing is perfect and you handled the harsh light quite well, this is one of your best images from what I have seen, well done and hope to see more from you. Whenever possible, try and seek some golden light early mornings and late afternoons:w3

Thanks for looking & your comments Gabriela! As mentioned to Morkel this was not a pre-planned visit (more of an after-church pleasure drive) so the clear winter sun was not my best friend. Agreeing with golden light hours being more favourable. Having said that - this reserve only opens at 8h00 (silly!) and at approx. 16h00 we have to be out again (also silly!). In the mornings I usually first dash off to the vulture restaurant (at about 9h00 they all start taking off to the skies for the day) so I tend to find myself in this particular 'sun-spot' 90% of the time... :e3