PDA

View Full Version : St Augustine Lighthouse in color

Harold Davis
05-22-2008, 03:48 PM
A slightly different perspective than Michael's. This is one difficult lighthouse to photograph!! I could find no really good place that would give anymore complimenting elements than this. If there is, I sure wish someone would tell me!

D300, 18-200VR at 34mm, f/22, 1/125s, 0EV, ISO 400. I'll have to admit that this was a quick shoot before heading over to the Gator Farm for the GTG. it was handheld and I was just trying not to blow out the whites. pretty much full frame and only lightened the foreground elements with CNX in PP.

Comments and critiques are appreciated!!

Robert Amoruso
05-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Harold,

I think you did well here. Sloping tree line is a diagonal. Good early morning light and the house looks to be set in a by-gone era. I have one image of this lighthouse I like - from the Anastasia SP Beach, looking through the sea oats and the heat waves rising from the sand. Up close, it is hard to make a good image with the generally bad FG. I think you found the key.

The Ponce Inlet LH south of this one is much better photographically.

Michael Pancier
05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
believe me, it's an impossible lighthouse to shoot and get a clean shot. I shot it from every angle in the pm and am. Perhaps a T/S 24mm or a Large Format wide angle may work by shooting on the north end along the fence in the a.m. Otherwise, you get bent lighthouse or keystoning.

I think you did well here. I've this same shot but at sunrise. I didn't get a nice sky though.

Roman Kurywczak
05-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Harold,
This is one tough lighthouse........if my memory serves correctly..........boat ramp???....... with long lens and vert with just the tree line and light...........no other buildings is the best i could come up with.............not 100% sure on location.............just remember I shot it from further back. Dramatic sky would be a plus also from that distance! ......as very early in the AM....before sunrise........the light is much more visible. I'm thinking a crop at the tree trunks.........to a vert....... would work better for me on this one!
Robert's recommendation of the Ponce Inlet light.........is right on! One of the most beautiful!

Phil Echo
05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Harold,

I also think that you did a very nice job presenting a photographically difficult lighthouse. I agree with Robert's compositional comments. The lighting is exquisite. In my opinion your choice to photograph this particular scene with a cloudless sky was a great choice. There are a plethora of colors, textures and patterns in the rest of the scene. A simple sky offers a delightful contrast to all of this without congesting and competing with the main subjects of interest.