PDA

View Full Version : Tufted Titmouse, 2013

Randall Farhy
09-04-2014, 01:23 AM
Another in my "Yard Birds" series using DAP as part of the workflow. DPP for basic conversion, Topaz labs for detail and color boost, DAP Acry-Real with custom brush size and setting tweaks>LR5 for crop and output. I went back and forth with the right leg, decided to leave as processed to simulate artistic license. As always, C&C welcome and appreciated. It's late, I'll get caught up on comments tomorrow.

Jackie Schuknecht
09-04-2014, 07:56 AM
I like the pose, the processing is really nice, I might add a little bit more canvas all the way around if you have it. Thanks for sharing your workflow. Sounds like a lot of work, but the image does not look overworked.:S3:

Cheryl Slechta
09-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi, Randall, I especially like the background as it adds some mystery to the image. And I love the attitude of the titmouse. I agree on a little room all the way around.:S3:

Paul Lagasi
09-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Very nice post processing, love the head turn...I agree that subject is just to large, could use some more room all around..

Randall Farhy
09-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestion re: crop, I was a bit concerned the BG might overwhelm the small subject. I pulled the frame to the bottom edge and realigned the RH thirds line. I like how DAP can make the BG more like a studio backdrop, a setup I plan to try in the future. 144473

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Randall,

Greetings. The repost looks good... partially solves the issue I have with the OP of what I see as the overly dark area on the left. To my eye that area, now just off the left side could stand to be lightened a little to decrease it as a focal point (lightened to about the now left edge would work for me). Otherwise, beautiful color and a beautiful subject. I particularly like the feather detail in the difficult whites. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Jackie Schuknecht
09-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I like the repost Randall. Good job.

Hazel Grant
09-05-2014, 04:27 PM
yes, repost better. Love the pose and work.

Dennis Bishop
09-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I liked the first one, but the second is even better. Your versatility is showing with these bird images. The body language of the bird in this one is very appealing. Nice job capturing it, and I like how you processed the image. The background likes great, and the bird stands out from it very nicely.

Anita Bower
09-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Very nice. I like the dramatic feel created by the pose of the bird, the size of the bird in the frame, the dark bg, and the bright green color to the left of the bird. The shape of the bright green area seems to mimic the shape of the bird--very nice. I think there is too much detail in the branch, in contrast with the painterly look of the rest of the image, which causes the branch to stand out. Excellent work.

Randall Farhy
09-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions. For the final version I've lightened the darker area mentioned by Michael slightly but not so much as to detract the area mimicking the outline of the bird. (nice catch Anita!) I applied local brush work to the branch: minor clarity, sharpness and highlight reductions to the area left of center outward. 144529

Anita Bower
09-07-2014, 04:46 PM
A strong image!