PDA

View Full Version : Theme Dumay's Lioness Close-Up

Rachel Hollander
09-03-2014, 08:50 AM
I thought I would join the recent string of big cat images and also post this one before Dumay heads back to the bush. This is from the sighting of the male and female lion over which Steve, Alison and I met Dumay. It was great sharing the sighting and I have to say that Dumay's "office" is beautiful. Steve has posted at least one image of this female before. She is recognizable by her floppy ear. It looked like the couple were getting ready to mate but no word as far as I know of whether they did and if it was successful. Perhaps Dumay will know when he returns from his office.

Canon 7D
300 II
1/500
f5.6
ISO 400
Monopod from safari vehicle, cropped for comp and to get rid of a darker patch in the urc, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments including reducing the reds, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi Rachel , good composition of this "beauty" lioness, looking a bit odd with that flapped ear.Like the overall tones and colors with good details .The HL does look a bit too light , think they are almost blown or borderline of being blown . They look almost white, just a minor thing.If you have lightened the shadowed side of her face i would back off , because it looks too light for the light angle , at least for me. Besides that a nice handling of the somewhat strong side lightning.

Nice job all around . TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
09-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Hi Rachel,

read Mr Shadow man comment. I agree with the highlights. When first seen I was wondering a bit than I saw it, you just let them in to see if we really look properly ��.
See we do look, better get rid of them and built in something else ��
Love the details as always and for sure the funny ear.

Have a great eve
ciao me

Rachel Hollander
09-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks Andreas and Anette - yes, the highlights on the side are borderline in a few places. I exposed for the shaded side of the face (FP was also on shaded eye) so had a few more blinkies than I normally would like. I might be able to recover them a little more.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2014, 03:33 AM
Nice portrait here Rachel. I agree with the comments above, but also feel you may have overcooked sharpening a tad?

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Thanks Morkel for the comment and suggestions.

Andre Pretorius
09-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Love the ear, Rachel!
Techs covered above.

Gabriela Plesea
09-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Yep, techs well covered, just wanted to say this is one gorgeous portrait of a powerful lioness and I like this "in your face" feeling I got when I opened the thumbnail. I tend to over-sharpen so this looks just about right to me:bg3:

Warmest regards,