PDA

View Full Version : Optimize file size ?

Michael Bertelsen
05-22-2008, 06:14 AM
If someone could help me solve these two questions I would be forever grateful.
I have a website that I put my photos on, my image size is 650 pixels.
When I optimize my file I set it for 125K, is that the correct amount ?
Also what should I set my image quality at ?
It ranges from 60 to90, should I set it lower (67) to prevent pirateing of my images?

Thanks,

Michael

Alfred Forns
05-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi Michael We do have a tutorial which you can check out.

Basically you set your size by cropping in PS. The file size in KB is what is required. Here for our site we have a 200kb limit. You need to determine what size you need for your website. If space is not a problem might go with 200 kb for better quality. Keep in mind Artie's images in his bulletin are all around 45kb and look outstanding !!!

If you save for web and specify the file size there should be no quality size to worry about. It only comes up with save or save as. That would refer to the compression but you have already taken care of it by optimizing !!!

Would not worry much to reduce the size because of pirating. Even with a large file there is not much they can do other than using in the internet .... and at the smaller size they can do the same !!! Hope it helps !!!

Robert Amoruso
05-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Michael,

Look at this thread http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5598. Artie goes through his process for creating JPGs for posting. I use the same process.

Basically, your decision process is:

SIZE: 800ppi, 650ppi for example. Site will most likely dictate this. Use that number when following the "fit image" part of the procedure.

QUALITY: When using Save for Web, you set quality or file size. When you set file size, PS figures out the quality it must use to write to that file size otherwize you have to fuss with the quality setting to get it to the required file size you want/need. In Save or Save As you have to pick quality and PS displays the file size before it saves.

FILE SIZE: See above. If the site has a file size limit, you will want to use Save for Web and limit to that file size.

At a resolution of 72 or 96 ppi, images are only good for web posting so quality setting is not much of an issue there - don't worry about it.

Michael Bertelsen
05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Thankyou Alfred and Robert, that is something I have been meaning to ask for a long time.
You both have been very helpful,

Cheers,

Michael Bertelsen