PDA

View Full Version : Camping and the Night Sky

Miguel Palaviccini
09-01-2014, 04:20 PM
It's been a long while since I dusted out the wide angle, but on a recent trip to San Pedro Wilderness, NM I took it out. The campfire provided just the right amount of light for the foreground, and the Milky way peeked itself between two trees for this shot.

I was tempted to clone out the red sleeping bag in the tent, but thought it added just a bit of color. Thoughts?

Shooting Info:
Canon 5D3 | Tokina 16-28 f/2.8
30" | f/2.8 | ISO 3200

Andrew McLachlan
09-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Hi Miguel, I like this one...not sure if you can bring out a tiny bit of detail in the lower left corner and shadowed tent side...looks like you caught a shooting star in the upper right or satellite? Look forward to seeing more of your wide-angle landscapes.

Don Railton
09-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Hi Miguel

I too like this. Good detail in the sky and on the ground, well mostly anyway. I agree with Andrew about lifting the shadows if you could.. The trees also seem to be leaning in, not sure how much of that is real and how much is distortion. I might be tempted to reduce that if I could. I like the sleeping bag inclusion, sort of invites you in, and would do so more if that corner was lighter.

DON

Diane Miller
09-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Nice framing of the Milky Way, and nice balance of light, with a little blue in the sky. Was there some moonlight? I'd expect campfire light to be warmer, but it's interesting this way. No right or wrong there.

You couldn't correct the perspective lean of the trees without stretching the stars -- a tilt-shift lens would be the only option.

Don Lacy
09-05-2014, 07:33 AM
hi Miguel, Nice framing of the Milky Way the tilt in the trees are expected when using a wide angle so I am ok with that. I would tone down the light on the tent and trees just a tad

Morkel Erasmus
09-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I quite like this Miguel. I often neglect shooting some hand-of-man shots on my travels, and it's part of the story, especially camping.
The lighting worked out nicely, not overly exposed in areas though I would tone it down in some places (personal taste) where it's coming through strongest. The perspective distortion doesn't bug me...