PDA

View Full Version : Chicago skyline

Hazel Grant
08-31-2014, 09:17 PM
This past weekend was perfect weather for being out and about in Chicago. Took this from the Architecture Water Tour in the middle of the day, but with a cloudy sky. Very slight crop and sat adjust. Thought about cropping the grey area on the left but then thought I'd have to crop equal ant on the right and that would ruin the river span. Thoughts on this? Or other?

Nikon D7000. 1/250, f22, ISO 800

Don Railton
08-31-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi Hazel

I don't know what 'tools' you have for your post processing, but if you do have PS then you might consider doing perspective correction in Transform to correct the buildings that are leaning inwards. I have included a very quickly adjusted copy to show what I mean... There is also a dust bunny upper LHC.. I am a fan of cityscapes, and to be honest of probably would have likes some glittery lights over this (Night shot) for a little more colour, but its a very presentable cityscapes as it stand IMHO..

regards

DON

Hazel Grant
09-01-2014, 07:37 AM
thanks for the reminder about transform. I knew the buildings were leaning in, but wasn't sure why or how to fix them. don't know why I didn't think of transform. Yes, night shots with lights are good, and i took a couple of those, but then a glorious day like this one has its pluses, too. I plan to post a couple more with the buildings reflections adding interest.

Wendy Kates
09-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi Hazel,
Having loved living in Chicago for 19 years (college, grad school and beyond), and having loved the architectural tours on the river, this image brought a huge smile to my face! I do like Don's RP better...in addition to the transform, the crop resulted in more symmetry in the sky between right and left. I really like the contrast between the all-glass-and-steel buildings on the left and the brick and glass buildings on the right. I wish the river weren't so murky looking, but it is what it is. (At least it's not kelly green, like it is for the St. Patrick's Day parade!)

Andrew McLachlan
09-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Hi Hazel, perspective correction was my first thought. If you use Nik Software's Color Efex you may find the detail extractor tool useful on the buildings. I do like the way the river leads us to the building just right of center. I have often wanted to drive down to Toronto to do some architecture images myself, but I get claustrophobic in the city :S3:

Hazel Grant
09-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks. I'll check out the Nik software. Photoshop is my "go to" right now Don't know about Toronto, but I find Chicago to be big city enough for me but also open enough not to feel closed in. Having the river right down the center helps, and gives great photo ops, too.

Diane Miller
09-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Nice shot, Hazel. We don't often see buildings from a river.

The leaning in is because of a wide angle lens aimed up. It happens with any lens but is exaggerated with a wide angle. We don't really notice it when we're shooting, but look through the lens and point it up and then sweep it down and you'll see the lean change from in to out. If you have enough extra zoom to go wider angle, aim the lens level and there will be no lean, then crop top or bottom as needed -- here probably the bottom. But often we don't have enough extra wide angle to do that.

Hazel Grant
09-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info, Diane. Another lesson to learn....thanks!

Don Lacy
09-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Hazel you can also use the lens correction toll in ACR or PS it does a great job of correcting issues with perspective and distortion

Morkel Erasmus
09-06-2014, 03:10 PM
This is a nice scene, Hazel.
I like Don's repost for minor corrections. I also feel you can add some sharpening and local contrast.
Another option is a monochrome - this is a VERY quick repost. WDYT? :e3

Hazel Grant
09-07-2014, 09:27 PM
I had thought BW would be too harsh. I was so enthralled with the beauty of the day, sky, etc. that I like the color version over BS. the monochrome softens the image and so is another viable option. thanks for the suggestion.