PDA

View Full Version : Moose close-up

Nancy Bell
08-31-2014, 11:53 AM
I sat watching this moose for over an hour so he would get used to me. I was then able to walk into the willows with him to get this image. My biggest problem was that the willows were taller than I am and my only approach was from downslope. I struggled for a clear view. I used a monopod for camera support since this was a total 7 mile hike and the camera/lens combo plus a tripod would be too heavy for me (plus lunch, water and rain gear). This area is a narrow valley at 10,500 feet here in northern Colorado.

Canon 1Dx, Canon 200-400 f4 L IS w/internal 1.4 @ 560mm, 1/250, f7.1, exp. comp. +1/3, ISO 800. In retrospect, I should have increased the ISO & the shutter speed.

Comments & critiques most appreciated.

Steve Canuel
08-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Like the pose and setting here Nancy. Also like the soft light, matches my experiences well.

Rachel Hollander
08-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Hi Nancy - You were a day too early for the change of theme so I dropped the prefix in the title. For me this is one of your best processed wildlife shots. Your patience and effort paid off. The comp works for me. Very nice detail and sharpness. Only thing I might do is burn the highlights at the tip of the antlers slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Richard Flack
08-31-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi Nancy, super composition, nice light and super detail. Well done!

Dumay de Boulle
08-31-2014, 03:17 PM
I like the composition and the way the Moose pops from the BG. If you have more of the frame below I would like to see more of the vegetation in the FG, then I think you could take some off the right. Nice image Nancy!

Neil Burton
08-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Just a bit tight at the bottom but a fine shot of a moose! ;)

Andreas Liedmann
09-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Hi Nancy worth the effort :cheers:. I like the comp and the overall tone and detail /sharpness you have here.I am fine with the crop as is , but would go for a slightly cooler look a tad too yellow for my liking.

TFS Andreas

Carl Walker
09-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Very nice image Nancy - great detail and it stands out well against the foliage and lovely soft background. WD

Nancy Bell
09-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments. I know I am really late with this but I left for Alaska shortly after posting and have just returned.