PDA

View Full Version : Forster's Tern juvie in flight

Bill Dix
08-31-2014, 10:55 AM
At Forsythe NWR (Brigantine) on Friday, we came across a parent Common Tern feeding a youngster. Several young Forster's Terns decided it was more fun to try and steal the Common's fish than to go out and catch their own. We spent an hour photographing both species at close range (often too close, with clipped wings as a result). This was the very last frame before we quit, but one of my favorites of the day. I think these Forster's youngsters are quite pretty with their cinnamon-colored fresh juvenal plumage.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 640, 1/4000s @ f/7.1 manual, Gitzo and Mongoose.

Richard Flack
08-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice image Bill. Like the pose and open mouth on this one as well as the BG. (The shadow (or what looks like a shadow) on the back looks a little odd, did you do anything to it?). TFS

Arthur Morris
08-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Well done on all counts: EX, SH, and the raised wings are all very good. As is the BKGR. Ten yards to the left would have eliminated the shadow. I do not find it too objecctionable.

Bill Dix
08-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks Richard and Artie. I did lighten up the shadow a bit to make it less contrasty, and probably introduced some noise as a result. I could possible take out the noise, if that's what you're referring to. The basic problem is that the sun was perhaps 20 degrees off my left shoulder, and the breeze was from 90 degrees to my right. So the birds were often facing slightly away from me. Moving to my left would have helped the sun issue, but exacerbated the flight angle.

Dumay de Boulle
08-31-2014, 03:43 PM
Cracking image Bill...One of your best in my opinion. Fantastic DOF and I love the flight angle and pose and the open bill takes it over the top....Congrats!

William Dickson
08-31-2014, 04:57 PM
Lovely image Bill, just the correct amount of sharpness,looks good :S3:

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-31-2014, 09:51 PM
Bill, this is a superb BIF with nice in-coming angle, great eye contact, open bill and perfect wing position. I like it. TFS.

David Salem
08-31-2014, 10:13 PM
Wow Bill, this is awesome. One of your best IF images indeed! Love the pose, the hanging feet and the open beak. Great colors on this juvie. The techs looks great too as do the details. Nice BG color also.
The shadow is there, but not a big deal to me. I would be stoked to have this in my files. Very nice frame.

Binu John
09-01-2014, 01:24 AM
Wonderful shot, Bill! Stunning pose, excellent exposure, clarity and background. You nailed it! Very well done.

Satish Ranadive
09-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Excellent flight shot. Spectacular pose with full up wings showing beautiful details on dorsal and ventral sides.fanned tail feathers, Nice HA with open bill. Beautiful composition too.

Regards,
Satish.

Bill Dix
09-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the comments.

Geoffrey Montagu
09-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Great image, Bill. We did have a spectacular behavioral display of these beauties, and you surly captured it in this one. The detail, whites, wings, fanned tail and feet positions, BG as well, and yes open beak, outstanding. Well done.

Geoffrey

arash_hazeghi
09-03-2014, 02:29 AM
I like the dynamic pose and sharp details, well done