PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly, Blue Dasher?

Diane Miller
08-30-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm always commenting here and rarely post anything. (Actually, I'm embarrassed to, with all the gorgeous work here. But I thought I should prove that I'm at least trying, occasionally.)

Canon 5D3, 300mm f/2.8 IS + 2X II. ISO 400, 1/400 sec, f/13. Hand held, sitting in semi-mud to get the one narrow angle with a clean BG. (And sort of hoping I'd drop it in the water so I could get the new one....) Couldn't get everything in focus the way you guys do, but it'll do for starters.

Basic LR 5 adjustments only -- this one never made it to PS.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Nice work Dianne. Very sharp for handheld, but it is a sharp lens. I like the wing position, and the simple BG.

Allen Sparks
08-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Hi Diane, I like the background and how the dragonfly is perching in the V of the perch. Sounds like you took the only angle that worked given the circumstances. In a perfect world and kind of a nit, I would say getting more of a view parallel to the subject or maybe slightly in front could improve the image but of course this is not always possible in the field. A strong image overall.

Allen

Nancy Bell
08-31-2014, 06:58 PM
I really like the unusual composition full of angles; the sharp angle of the perch & the extreme angled forward position of the wings plus the angles of the legs. All the blues are lovely, the paler blue body against the strong blue sky, and the turquoise blue of the head. Very nicely done and well worth the muddy position you had to take!

Steve Maxson
09-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Hi Diane. With images like this, you should be posting here more often! :S3: Male blue dashers are territorial and you may have noticed that they tend to keep landing on the same perch. I like the low shooting angle that has us looking slightly up at the subject. Excellent head to tail sharpness, good comp, a very nice background, and good detail in the bright areas of the perch which blow out very easily. Very well done!

Diane Miller
09-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks, everyone! I do need to try these guys more often -- odd how practice improves things... This one did indeed come back to the same perch over and over, or I never would have gotten a good shot. Same with the orange ones I see -- I think they're Flame Skimmers.

Jonathan Ashton
09-05-2014, 02:35 AM
Lovely shot very near ideal DOF and focus, I think your slimmers are what we call chasers. A very eye catching and unusual colour palette - I like the image very much - keep looking for more you are nearly there:w3