PDA

View Full Version : ID confirm: Semipalmated?

P-A. Fortin
08-30-2014, 10:53 AM
My guess would be semipalmated sandpiper, worn adult, but I am a bit thrown off by this plumage which I have never seen before.

Daniel Cadieux
08-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Hmm, that looks mighty white for a semipalmated sandpiper. I do realize plumage can be variable this looks too extreme. Looks more Sanderling-ish to me, in molt obviously. The very white feathers on the back are normally found in juveniles so the molting confuses me unless this is a juvie transitioning into its first adult breeding plumage, which would be odd for this time of year. When an where?

P-A. Fortin
08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Yesterday, Quebec City.

I have actually never seen a sanderling, but I would have expected it to be larger than this bird. It was almost as small as the leasts in the group.

Here are 2 images of similar, birds it was hanging with. Maybe it helps...

Off-topic: I got myself an "old" 500 IS I. I got an offer I could not resist... :bg3:

Daniel Cadieux
08-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Congrats on the 500!

All of these give me a Sanderling kinda vibe. Hopefully someone else will chime in...

Jim Buescher
09-01-2014, 05:59 PM
The lack of a hind toe indicates a Sanderling.

P-A. Fortin
09-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks.

Can you add any info about the plumage?

Sandy Witvoet
09-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Hi Guys... I have a friend that is probably one of the best at bird ID's here in the northern Great Lakes area. I emailed him a link to this thread. Here is his response:

"It looks like these are birds that have partially molted into their basic plumage. The lack of hind toe, length of wings, and bill all strongly suggest Sanderling to me. The lighter feathers are the light gray feathers that they attain for their basic plumage (basic plumage Sanderlings are very pale gray). You can also see hints of very rufous feathers on the face that are left over from alternate plumage. Semipalmated shouldn't be this light gray in the new feathers, should have a shorter, stubbier bill, shorter wings, and a hind toe."

Hope this helps a bit!
-Sandy