PDA

View Full Version : Young black skimmer

allanrube
08-29-2014, 07:35 PM
I took this Thursday morning at Nickerson Beach as the sun was just coming up. Due to the protected area I could not get the sun at my back. I had to lighten an area at the top of its head. I left the imperfection on the head along with the hint of 2 adults in the background.

I never noticed the yellow under the wings before.

D800 with Nikon 800 lens. !/500 f/10 iso 900. Center focus point.

Loi Nguyen
08-29-2014, 11:21 PM
It's fun to see the baby. Good job on the exposure with the sun not at your back. Was there a reason for the F10? BG was a bit busy and distracting and I think the image could benefit with a more shallow DOF. TFS. Loi

Ian Wilson
08-30-2014, 12:55 AM
Interesting capture Allan. Nice early morning light. As you say, not the best angle and it would be nice to see something of the feet. Regards, Ian.

Joe Senzatimore
08-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Fine shot here. I have been going to Nickerson for a long time now , so I can relate to the lighting challenges there. You handled this well. I think that the yellow seems a bit too saturated. I have seen this color before , but never this deep.

Daniel Cadieux
08-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Pretty neat about that yellow as the adults do get a very subtle yellow was in that area during peek mating season. Nice low angle, the vegetation adds a lot here. Good head angle. Too bad about the merge between wing and head. I'd for sure get rid of the black spot at top right edge, and see if I could tone down some near-hot patches of white. Well balanced comp, nice details.

Richard Flack
08-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Nice to see the little chap. Like the low angle. Agree with Loi in terms of less DOF to blur out the BG. TFS Allan!

Arthur Morris
08-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Interesting. I have never seen the yellow flanks on a chick of any age....

allanrube
08-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the comments. I selected the greens and blurred them a bit with gaussian blur. I tried a bit more but it did not look good. I also attempted to get rid of some of the black areas in the bg which were actually oof adult skimmers. To some people it may not appear I blurred it at all. I had used f/10 as I was fairly close to the bird with an 800 mm lens and was afraid of too small a depth of field.

The color, or yellow saturation, increased as I resized the image so I back off on the yellow saturation in PS.

Does this look any different?