PDA

View Full Version : a long-legged spider

Nancy Bell
08-27-2014, 05:18 PM
I felt a bit like "Little Miss Muffet who sat on her tuffet...and along came a spider, who sat down beside her...". I was photographing the black-eyed susans when I noticed this spider (daddy long-legs?). I was amazed at those claws on the underside. For this image I like that the spider is among the flowers as that is how I came to this image. This also shows the habitat that this spider crawls around in.

Canon 5D Mark III, tripod, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, 1/500, f16, ISO 2000.

Comments and critiques most appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
08-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I like the exposure and colours, the spider is well focused. The background is a bit busy but in general I don't mind it becasue it looks entirely in keeping with the spider's whereabouts. The only thing that bugs me is the dark area on the left - where it obscures the tip of the leg. Having said that I like the image.

Nancy Bell
08-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks Jonathan for your comments. I agree about that leg ending in the dark center of the flower. I wonder if the spider would have moved away if I had tried to tease that leg into another position?
I would guess almost certainly so.

Allen Sparks
08-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Hi Nancy,
I like the feel this image gives of hanging out in the spider's habitat. Focus on the spider looks great. Agree about the dark patch in left in the background but still this is a very fine image.

Allen

MiroslavMaric
09-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Hi Nancy,

I like the color and tone of BG. Well done composition and focus is on the right place too. The dark patch in the left is not an issue for me, maybe would like to to see more blur of the perch at the right. TFS.

Miro

Hazel Grant
09-02-2014, 03:19 PM
How convenient to have the macro already set up for the flowers and then to find this! Yes, in a perfect world, that dark area would not be there, but nature is not perfect. Still, the legs are clear. The body sharp, and some of the flower petals have complimentary sharpness. Well done

Nancy Bell
09-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks all! I really did have fun watching this spider in his yellow jungle.