PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl on the Wing

susanschermer
05-22-2008, 06:25 AM
This lovely owl was protecting the nest from the intruder - me. I begged the owl's indulgence. These guys are surrounded by soccer players, tennis players, joggers, etc.
1D MarkIII, 70-200 f/2.5 with 2x.
ISO 640
f6.3 @ 1/2000
no exp comp.

Alfred Forns
05-22-2008, 07:23 AM
They got their work cut out !!!! Amazing the places they set up shop !!!! Poor things are loosing habitat left and right !!!

Love the capture Susan. We don't see these guys up in the air often and when they fly is usually close to the ground. Excellent mid air pose with their pattented stare. You were somewhat of sun angle but the light was soft enough it did not hurt that much. Ideally you want the other wing stretch but I would love having this one in my files !!!!

David Hemmings
05-22-2008, 07:27 AM
This is so cool Susan, I am big time jealous. If I come down and buy you a coffee will you take me there:)

susanschermer
05-22-2008, 11:12 AM
This is so cool Susan, I am big time jealous. If I come down and buy you a coffee will you take me there:)
Any time I'm here, David.

capemerlin
05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice shot Susan. Great eye contact. I've been patently waiting for a flight shot of a burrowing owl for years. What park are your owls at? I go to Brian Piccolo park.

Arthur Nelson

susanschermer
05-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi Arthur,
Brian Piccolo it is.

Arthur Morris
05-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Nice image and sharp. Probably not the best plan to either #1: disturb the owls for the purpose of getting a flight image or #2: advertise the above... Looks like too much SH/H on the underside of the right wing w/o increasing the contrast. That underwing looks milky...

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow Susan !!! You sure captured this one in mid air flight. Not an easy image to capture. Congratulations !!!

DanWalters
05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice capture. Love the light and the colors.

Maxis Gamez
05-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Susan,

I was there few weeks ago but I didn't get anything at all, the light was harsh by 8am... Excellent capture and timing on this one. The blues looks too strong!!

susanschermer
05-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I beg your pardon, Maestro, but I am most respectful of all wildlife The owl family were all in the hole except for the sentry who was flying around at anyone within 20 feet of the mound. Far be it from me to disturb a bird for a mere photograph.

Arthur Morris
05-23-2008, 06:54 AM
I beg your pardon, Maestro, but I am most respectful of all wildlife The owl family were all in the hole except for the sentry who was flying around at anyone within 20 feet of the mound. Far be it from me to disturb a bird for a mere photograph.

I beg your pardon Susan, but this is what you wrote in your original post: "This lovely owl was protecting the nest from the intruder - me."

You clearly stated that you were intruding so I am quite confused by your stating, "This lovely owl was protecting the nest from the intruder - me."

James Shadle
05-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Susan,
This is a beautiful image.
I like the location in the frame, the eye contact and it is very sharp.
On my monitor it looks like the Owl got a pretty good dose of shadow/highlight.
Based on what I am seeing, perhaps this could have been photographed with a little + exposure compensation.

A couple of things on the "intruder"

This lovely owl was protecting the nest from the intruder - me"
Words are powerful, we should be careful how we choose them.
Perhaps a word other than "intruder" should have been used to explain how you captured this image.

"Far be it from me to disturb a bird for a mere photograph."
I appreciate your love for wildlife and efforts not to disturb the animals.

"the sentry who was flying around at anyone within 20 feet of the mound"
IMO even in such an urban setting, 20 feet is just too close to a nest.
I'll bet it was a little farther than that.

Thanks James