PDA

View Full Version : High Key Grey Seal

Andreas Liedmann
08-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Hi folks after a while posting straight forward processed images i will break the cycle :bg3:.
By knowing from experience (good and bad :w3) when posting this stuff , it could be difficult to make all happy .

So here it is .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 200-400 with TC in place (560 mm )
Tripod

F 8 ; Iso 2500 ; 1/ 1600 sec

Processed in DPP 4 and PS CC ; overexposed by bad luck or stupidity, so i tried to make something out of it . The blues and yellows are in the image just pushed them combined with the contrast.

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting.

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
08-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Hi Andreas - I bet you know what my reaction is going to be - it's not working for me as is. The whites are too bright, particularly in the splash. I tried a simple lumo mask at 85% and it works much better for me. There's detail there that comes out more. Also I think it needs a slight cw rotation. On the bright side, the blues and yellows don't bother me at all, it's just the whites that do.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
08-27-2014, 02:06 AM
I can't comment on high key as I have never tried it and my knowledge on the subject is minimal...I am gonna have to say this is doing very little for me all around Andreas...Sorry.

edwardselfe
08-27-2014, 04:32 AM
Hi Andreas, I see what you were trying to do here, and I think it's worth keeping but not one of your best. I would lose a bit below in favour of more above.
Ed

Andreas Liedmann
08-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks Rachel ,Dumay and Ed for your thoughts/feedback appreciate you took your time and typed something.

Rachel - you won the bet , so easy to read your thoughts :bg3:. It is a high key image so no need for doing a multiply lumo mask to the HL, i know what detail is in the file :w3, because i processed it .Regarding rotation , no , seal was moving up the beach , so there is a natural slope from left to right . But all good for me , just different thoughts
Dumay - the same as Rachel is valid for you , i bet you would write this kind of comment , so no surprise :t3. But no need to say sorry as i would have expected that . All good for me.

Ed - never thought it is one of my best , not with this kind of image and not here :bg3:, but i felt i share this still. Your crop suggestion is an option , thanks .

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
08-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Andreas - I generally am a fan of high key but here it is where the splash intersects the body that is problematic for me. The bg is fine for a high key image, although maybe not traditional high key with the blue tones. I hope this explains a little more my point.

Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Hi Rachel fair enough , for me there is enough detail . Appreciate your additional info :5.

Thanks again , Andreas