PDA

View Full Version : Damsel Portrait

adcolon
05-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Telebasis dominicana, West Indian Firetail. University of Puerto Rico's Botanical Gardens.

Canon 30D, Canon MP-65 w/macro flash, ISO 100, f/11 @ 1/250 sec.

Gus Cobos
05-22-2008, 07:37 AM
WOW...:eek: Fantastic details up close and in your face...:D excellent. I like it very much...:) The black background makes him pop out.

Susan Griffith
05-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Fantastic colors, love the facial detail and soo sharp. Grats on the capture.

-Susan

Ramon M. Casares
05-22-2008, 09:29 AM
O love the colors and the details, but most of all the fact that he has his mouth open!!! Great one! Congrats!

Roman Kurywczak
05-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Adcolon,
I do admit the colors definitely pop with the black BG and I do like the comp but would have preferred a little more room on the bottom as to not clip the feet. Did you try any with a more natural BG??? Looking at your setting.........you could have easily pushed the ISO to 400 and add 2 stops more of ambient light. Dropping the shutter speed to 100 would have given you 1 &1/3 more light.....allowing you to drop the flash output......that should have been enough to give a little more natural BG to at least try and compare. Agree with Ramon on the cool open mouth!

Mike Moats
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Hey adcolon, great details and color, and agree it would have been nice with a more natural BG, but the colors do really pop against the black BG.

John Cooper
05-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Wow that is close-up and an interesting persective Adcolon.
Agree with comments on BG and would have liked the forelegs not to be clipped.

Bob Reimer
05-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Alfredo! Saw this posted on the Dragonfly-World list first. Much nicer to see it at this resolution :) You've nailed the sharpness. I too would have like to see you get just another millimetre or so lower and get all of the front legs in ... there is enough room that you would have still gotten the wing in the frame (or at least as much as you have now). A little more of the perch in front of him would be nice too. Lovely shot of a difficult subject!