PDA

View Full Version : Giant water bug

Steve Maxson
08-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Giant Water Bugs (Family Belostomatidae) are aquatic predators that capture prey (most anything they can subdue) with their raptorial forelegs. They then use their sharp beak to inject digestive enzymes into the prey. Once the prey's insides are liquified, the GWB sucks out the juices. In the US, some species can be up to 65mm long, but this is one of the smaller ones (Belostoma flumineum) with a body length of about 24mm. There are some small whitish protozoan colonies attached to its back and beak. Belostomatids are air breathers and the bright area under its abdomen is where part of an air bubble is stored - allowing it to stay under water for extended periods. Photographed in my 2.5 gallon aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/125, f/16, ISO 320, 2 radio-triggered 430EX flashes (manual mode, diffused), tripod, live view manual focus, cable release. I removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran nr on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

John Robinson
08-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Another good "bug "shot, Steve. Not wanting to be too "tidy" I think I would have blitzed just one or two more of the debris blobbs. No big deal though.
John

Jonathan Ashton
08-26-2014, 04:05 AM
Excellent shot Steve, lovely detail on the bug, the light on the bug is very good indeed. There is something about the image though - not quite as good as previous. The bug looks almost cut out, this could be a combination of light fall off and cleaning up of the background with NR? However I don't wish to detract from the fact that I think this is a super image and one to be proud of.

shane shacaluga
08-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Wonderful macro! Lots of detail and good view of its habitat too

This looks like a cross between a mantis and an assassin bug actually.

TFS

Nancy Bell
08-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Great capture with your GWB posing so nicely by leaning out from the vegetation, with legs and beak in great positions to be seen. I would probably remove those two pieces of vegetation coming in from the lower right edge. They look unconnected to anything. You make photographing into your aquarium look easy. I suspect it is quite challenging. Really appreciate the natural history you added.

Diane Miller
08-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Looks wonderful to me, with light that is just lovely!

Steve Maxson
09-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions! :S3: