PDA

View Full Version : Artistic attempt.

Ian McHenry
05-22-2008, 01:52 AM
As I quite liked the composition of this image but was not happy with regular edit I added " More blur" in PSE.
Also darkened and increased saturation.
Details: Pentax K10D, Kit Lens 18-55mm @ 28mm.Taken late morning against the light.
1/125sec @ F6.7 No EV compensation Multi-segment metering.
Suggestions and advice appreciated.
Ian Mc

Gerald Kelberg
05-22-2008, 07:22 AM
I couldn't resist this one - looks like the River Avon in Hagley Park.

I like the colours and the atmosphere but I think the composition isn't quite working for me. The dark area on the right of the image is too dominant and I can't find a point of view - my eyes aren't sure whether to follow the river or head out on the open space and bright area through to the left.

Nevertheless - lots of nostalgia for my old home town!

Thanks,

Gerald

Robert Amoruso
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Ian,

I have to agree with Gerald's assessment, lacking a center of interest, the viewer does not know what to look for in the image. Though I am sure there area images that blurring it would be a good artistic affect, I think landscapes generally don't fall into that arena unless you get really wild and go for that "out-of-the-box" look - like making it look like a watercolor painting. For me, I want to see depth and detail in the image.

Compositionally, you placed the river well as it is a diagonal and comes in from the left corner. Diagonals and leading lines work well in images to guide the viewer.

Ian McHenry
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Gerald and Robert
I think I must have been blinkered by the river !!!
Like the point of eyes following line of interest into the frame.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Roman Kurywczak
05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Ian,
I'm thinking the light was definitely working against you here. Late afternoon may change things so you should take a look at that time. The above comments are also correct but you should try this same shot on a foggy or overcast day............then minimize the sky areas as much as possible! Different times of day/weather add different moods to landscapes...............worth exploring!

Ian McHenry
05-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks Roman
After watching David Noton's DVD this should have registered with me !!!
Appreciate you re-enforcing the value of mood lighting for this kind of picture.

Ian McHenry
05-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Here is a re-edit of this image.
Ian Mc

Robert Amoruso
05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Ian,

Roman brought up some great suggestions on getting the right light and/or atmospheric conditions - that would make a big difference here. The scene looks better in focus with good DOF. It is all about the light so worth a revisit.

Ian McHenry
05-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks Robert
Will explore Roman's options regarding more suitable light and composition
Sounds like a good challenge.