PDA

View Full Version : Southern White Admiral

MiroslavMaric
08-25-2014, 12:43 AM
Southern White Admiral (Limenitis reducta) butterfly on Oregano (Origanum vulgare) flower.
5DIII, 300mm 4 IS L, f/6.3, 1/1250s, ISO800, handholding.
Natural light.
PP: NR of BG. The full size of this photo is: 4316 x 2864 pixels.

I guess the left wing is not enough sharp, I used f/6.3 to balance between blur of BG and DOF of butterfly.

Thanks for viewing and CC.

Cheers!
Miro

Steve Maxson
08-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Hi Miroslav. This is a very nice specimen showing almost no wear on the wings and I like the diagonal of the comp. It gave you a good pose and you have good sharpness throughout (to my eye, the left wing is certainly sharp enough). The background is pleasingly OOF, though the brighter areas are rather distracting. You might consider cloning some of the green into those areas to tone them down. Another option might be to crop more all around which would reduce the amount of bright background. This is a very strong image and I think it is well worth a few tweaks to make it even better!

MiroslavMaric
08-26-2014, 01:25 PM
You might consider cloning some of the green into those areas to tone them down.

Hi Steve. Thanks for valuable comment! I will try to edit BG.

Cheers!
Miro

Jonathan Ashton
08-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Miro a lovely shot I suppose looking very carefully the lower edge of the left fore wing is not perfect but it's not far off!! Fine detail in the butterfly, I agree the background isn't perfect but as Steve suggests a little tweaking would help.

Nancy Bell
08-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Those pink flowers really set off the black butterfly very well! Nice widespread wings and good diagonal composition. Steve has very good suggestions about the bkgd.

Diane Miller
08-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Gorgeous! It looks sharp to me!

You might try reducing the saturation of yellow just a little -- that would tone down the BG a little.