PDA

View Full Version : Lake Castleburn

Morkel Erasmus
08-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I am really trawling the archives now in the absence of new landscape material. I am hoping to rectify this situation next weekend when I lead a photosafari to the magical Mana Pools in Zimbabwe...:t3
This is from a family trip to the Southern Drakensberg region in South Africa, February 2013.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f8.0 | ISO-64 | Blend of 2 exposures for dynamic range

Valerio Tarone
08-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Hi Morkel very sharp,a strong leading line in lower part, large perspective.I like the clouds converging toward the centre.

Don Railton
08-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Morkel

Very dynamic clouds and nice light.. There is a lot of distortion in the trees opposite side of the lake... Would I be right in thinking this is one of your favourite spots..?

DON

Morkel Erasmus
08-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Thanks Valerio and Don.
Don, I did apply the lens correction profile for this lens. Could review and correct the distortion even more but I don't personally mind it as is. It's a great spot, hard to say if it's a favourite - we've only been there this once (though I would gladly return) and it was a family holiday so I couldn't really hike into the mountains for hours looking for various compositions. The lake was a quick 2 minute walk from our cottage and gave me some options when the weather was pleasant and the trout wasn't biting :bg3:

Don Railton
08-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Mmmmm trout fishing... love it... Really nice to wander up those streams even when you don't catch something.

Andrew McLachlan
08-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Hi Morkel, very nice scene...love the clouds on the horizon just to the right of center. I have made some of my most memorable landscape scenes on family vacations where I can only grab a few minutes at sunrise before family responsibilities start calling.

Diane Miller
08-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Wonderful composition and colors for a gorgeous scene. I'm not a fan of the wide-angle distortion, but a perspective correction would probably destroy the beautiful clouds. A tilt-shift lens is ideal for scenes like this. Aim it level and shift to the desired composition.

Don Lacy
09-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Wonderful image Morkel, the tonalities are in perfect harmony and I like the sweep and flow of the comp.

Morkel Erasmus
09-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks folks.
Diane, I have never shot with a TS lens and would like to one day. That being said I am fine with the distortion of this particular lens. I did correct it with the lens profile setting in LR before processing the image.