PDA

View Full Version : Gannet portrait

Andreas Liedmann
08-24-2014, 03:02 AM
A quick jump into Avian with this tight portrait of a Gannet from Helgoland Island

Hope you like it .

Canon EOS 1Dx
Ef 500 iS L
Tripod + Gitzo fluid head

F 8 ; Iso 4000 ; 1/ 2000 sec , i was on flight shot techs so hence the fancy settings for a bird that is sitting still :eek3:.

Processed in Canon DPP 4 and PS CC , cropped for comp from three sides apart of the bottom .

Thanks for watching and leaving a comment

Cheers Andreas

Dumay de Boulle
08-24-2014, 04:58 AM
Superb IQ and fine detail. Exposure is perfect and the colours look spot on too...Only issue is the DOF was not enough for the tip of the beak to be sharp. I think f11 would have been sufficient and you would still have had enough SS. Man that 1DX has nice ISO performance.

Randy Stout
08-24-2014, 05:21 AM
Andreas:

Nice lines, well framed, colors work well, soft light.

I could see a version with the red spots removed on the bill.

Do agree about DOF, but still a very effective shot.

Better to take it with your 'flight' settings, than to miss the shot trying to change them and miss the shot. Now if he posed for a bit, then change the settings and try again!

Cheers

Randy

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Wow, amazing close-up with good detail, nice soft light and colours. The comp is very good and the high Iso performance superb!

Daniel Cadieux
08-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Tasteful colours and great details - I especially like the texture in the iris and on the face's skin. I like the dark neutral BG. I can't help but feel that I'd love to have seen more neck, and I would remove the large red spot on the lower mandible.

Steve Kaluski
08-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Hi Andreas, I think Randy summed up my same thoughts too on this, nice retention of detail and in particular the colouring of the bill, perfect, you can almost feel that sheen.

Nice work.

TFS
Steve

Bill Dix
08-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Great high ISO detail and IQ, lovely colors. Red spots and DOF noted.

Andreas Liedmann
08-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks folks to all of you for your comments , much appreciated .

Agree with your thoughts about the DOF , but disagree about the dirt removal from the beak . I would never clone that out ,i do not find it distracting at all .

Thanks again Andreas

stuart wanuck
08-24-2014, 04:59 PM
super nice

Robert Kimbrell
08-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Beautiful, very good detail excellent exposure.

Stu Bowie
08-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi Andreas, excellent exposure, and you hve captured the colours so well. Comp works well, and the portrait really pops against the BG. Well captured.

Andreas Liedmann
08-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks Stuart , Robert and Stuart again for your kind comments , all are appreciated.

Andreas