PDA

View Full Version : Spying Mission

Gus Hallgren
05-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi Folks, While out photographing the Woodpeckers on the Sahaura cactus yesterday early morning a Harris's Hawk landed on this high Hollywood Cypress about 100' away and was looking back checking us out while trying to keep its balance as the wind was gusting and blowing him back and forth. As I'm looking for ideas on improving my photos, I'm curious how important it is to turn off IS when using a tripod. Tried about 10 shots, but my untrained eye couldn't spot any difference? . . All opinions solicited and appreciated . . . Gus

Olympus E-510, Zuiko 70-300 ED
1/400, F8 ~ 100 ISO -1.00 eV
Focal length 600 equiv. on tripod
Auto WB

Alfred Forns
05-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi Gus It all depends on the IS you are using. I'm unfamiliar with your set up so best to consult the manual.

Check your histogram for this one Gus since I not sure how you would need a -1 compensation for this set up? Would like to see more detail in the shadow areas. The mayor thing here is the angle and large perch. Both detract from the image .... do they ever land on shorter trees over there :) Do like the alert pose and head turn !!!!

Gus Cobos
05-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi Gus,
Nice composition, must agree with Al on this one. The two factors that distract me is the overly tall perch and the shot angle which is too steep. You might want to crop half of the perch and see how it looks or I think that this capture would have worked better as a vertical...:eek:

Gus Hallgren
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi: Nobody said it was going to be easy, and I really appreciate your patience and expert advice. Hopefully I can put it together, and get around the bright sun in Arizona (It was 104F the last couple of days. The reason I went to -1 EV was because I was watching my highligths on my camera, an hour before when I started photographing the Woodpecker, -0.3 ev would get rid of the flashing highlights. When I photographed the Hawk it took -1 to get rid of the flashing. I think I need to get a feel from experience to handle the sun better. To answer Al's question about photographing them lower, Yes, most of the time they are lower branches, but surrounded by leaves and small branches. I will post a new thread after looking through some photos I took last week. The problem I find is that most of the time the birds in their natural settings is that the light is dappled sunshine. Getting a photo of the bird for identification is much easier than taking artistic photographs. Considering a Canon 40D as Canon's and Nikon's have the greatest selection of optional equipment. Have to convince Gina first ;) . . . Thanks . . . Windy Gustaf

George DeCamp
05-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Getting a photo of the bird for identification is much easier than taking artistic photographs. Considering a Canon 40D as Canon's and Nikon's have the greatest selection of optional equipment. Have to convince Gina first ;) . . . Thanks . . . Windy Gustaf

Hey Gus!

Much better with the crop as posted but the eye as you can see is not sharp then again it is a big crop.

You said a mouthful above about the artistic efforts. You will do it, just keep going out and posting, the results will surprise you over some time. Either the Canon or a Nikon are fine, I like Nikon but then again I shoot Nikon so I am biased. Whichever of the 2 you choose make sure you try them out to see which system feels better to you then go with it. Get the best glass you can afford, this is even more important than the camera as cameras come and go every 2 or 3 yrs, glass if good will last you many more years. For instance, I am on my 3rd (or is it 4th?) camera with my 70-200vr. Canon or Nikon glass is made well and works like a charm with their cameras.

Keep em coming, keep shooting!!!!

Gus Hallgren
05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the tips George, nice to see you again. i will definitely get as good glass as I can afford. I selectively Smart sharpened the head . . . Does it look any better? Don't like reworking a JPG.. .. Gus

George DeCamp
05-22-2008, 09:51 PM
. I selectively Smart sharpened the head . . . Does it look any better? Don't like reworking a JPG.. .. Gus

YES, certainly better!!! :D

Oscar Zangroniz
05-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Great repost, much better looking angle. Very nice head angle also.
Congrats,

Alfred Forns
05-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi Gus Something you can try exposure wise is guessing/reason the exposure often when you out photographing then checking the histogram. In a short time you should be able to be within 1/3 !!! Next step is making changes when clouds go over dialing in then checking histogram.

For many years I used a camera with no meter. It actually made you very aware of light, direction and intensity. Since we were using a fixed ISO setting exposure became easy and accurate.

Gus Hallgren
05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks Al, That's my next step . . . usually try to get histogram on camera start about 1/8 th. or more from right side. Will try your suggestion . . . . Best . . . Gus