PDA

View Full Version : Theme: The Acropolis Spawns a Flower Child!

Wendy Kates
08-22-2014, 08:59 PM
My camera doesn't allow multiple exposure, so I tried to create a similar effect in post - processing. I started with an image of flower bouquets that I took outside of a bodega in NYC. I combined it with an image I had of the Acropolis, then I flipped the original flower image and created a second layer with the flipped image. I blended one of the layers with Multiply, and the other layer with Color Burn mode, both at 54% opacity. I masked back the sky. I cloned out part of a crane, but kept some of the scaffolding. I liked the idea of combining an ancient and enduring structure with the brief life of cut flowers.

Randall Farhy
08-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Wendy, interesting concept. I feel you've utilized a technique more akin to darkroom magic and it turned out well! What strikes my eye and holds attention is how the flowers appear on the columns -not as if painted, but rather as if a projector were being used to illuminate the structure with the floral print. The flowers appear sharper where the structure does, and where the stcture is soft on focus, so are the flowers. Keeping the sky clean adds to this effect. On the fence re: scaffolding, I think it's something I would remove from the sky entirely. Nicely executed!

Jackie Schuknecht
08-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Cool Wendy, ancient meets pop. Very clever idea. I wonder about lightening the image just a bit. Nice work.

Nancy Bell
08-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Wonderfully creative and certainly OOTB thinking! I really like how the flowers appear super imposed on the columns with the larger flowers appearing in the lower left and fading to those deep mottled reds. The clear blue sky is a fabulous contrast to all the colors and details of the structure. I would remove the remaining part of the scaffolding that extends into the blue sky.

Cheryl Slechta
08-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Hi, Wendy, great OOTB thinking. I agree with Jackie about lightening the image and also would remove the scaffolding.:S3:

Anita Bower
08-25-2014, 03:59 AM
You came up with an excellent way of creating a multiple exposure. I haven't seen something like this before. It is quite effective. Good work. I agree with all the above.

Wendy Kates
08-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and helpful input. I have lightened the image and have cloned out the scaffolding. See what you think...

Anita Bower
08-26-2014, 05:10 AM
I like the lighter version; the flowers show up more. Can you clone all the way to the bottom of the columns?

Wendy Kates
08-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Anita...I can certainly clone all the way to the bottom of the columns, but I think I would be cloning out part of the actual structure. It seems like that would be taking too much artistic license, but then, I've already taken a huge amount by covering the Acropolis in flowers, so what's a little more!