PDA

View Full Version : Coot

Joerg Rockenberger
01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
A coot at the South Lake Tahoe Keys harbor in January '07.

Thanks for looking. JR

Canon 30D, 400F5.6, 1/2000s, F5.6, ISO-400, Evaluative Metering

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
He looks like a surly seafaring coot in this image. Lots of character in his face. This time of year here in FL, great flocks of coots have migrated in and routine get int he way of the other birds as we try to photograph them. However, I always tell my workshop participants that great shots of coots are possible.

You demonstrated that here. What I would like to see is the remainder of the cleet in the image. It is a strong compositional element and including it will give this image a whole new look. If you have it in the original, please repost it.

As taught to me by the master (Artie), if it is interesting, include it all and don't cut it out.

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed this image.

Lana Hays
01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Not a usual place where I'd expect a coot. Robert's given and interesting take on this image. I was struggling with where to start but I think Robert's put it into perspective. I, too would like to see more. After all.....all coots have a personality....you just have to get them in the right situation.

Jim Neiger
01-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi John,

This is an interesting image. The exposure looks good with lots of detail in the dark areas, but the white face isn't blown. I like the chain, rope, and cleat. I do wish I could see the coots feet though. Coots have little pontoon like feet that I think are their most interesting feature.