Dumay de Boulle
08-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Canon 5D MKIII
Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS
AV f2.8
TV 1/2500
ISO 200
Exp +0.33

Its not often you get a Lion out in the open like this by us without him being on a road. There always seem to be obstructions out her...So I am happy with this one. I have been playing with shooting at f2.8 a lot and I am enjoying the results. With all our obstructions out here it seems to throw the BG out quite nicely. I went for a lot of space on top as I wanted to fit in the tail. Not sure what your thoughts may be on the space above...some may want to reduce it slightly.

Rachel Hollander
08-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Hi Dumay - good call on getting the whole tail in. It was nice of him to pose in the short grass and the open like this. Comp is ok for me but I think your alternate suggestion of a more pano comp would also work, it's just personal preference. Interesting about the aperture. Of course, I guess it gives you sufficient dof depending on your distance to your subject.

TFS,
Rachel

Brendon Cremer
08-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Lovely image Dumay. Great detail and colour, i just find there is a little too much space on top maybe try a 16:9 or a 16:10 Crop it may help. Also image may need a little more midtone contast just to add a little more depth to the lion.

Dumay de Boulle
08-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the comments Brendon and Rachel...I have tried the different crop and added the contrast and I toned down the BG brightness.

Stu Bowie
08-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi Mate, good to see using your set up and posting again. I like this pose, nice clean shot out in the open and glad to didnt cut off the tail. :w3 Your repost with some of the top taken off works well.

Dumay de Boulle
08-21-2014, 04:27 AM
Hey Stu...Thanks mate, I look forward to more regular participation. I agree that the second definitely seems to work better.

Steve Kaluski
08-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Hi Dumay, am I right in thinking I know this guy? :bg3:

First thought was to lose space above and the RP addresses that, it's far better, although a hint more either side would be nice although no deal breaker. I think you have it spot on with the detail & clarity, the mane in particular. Nice relaxed pose and with him looking away works for me. I also like the soft, warm colours, not too saturated, cool.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
08-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Hi Dumay nice classic pose of the subject , with good detail and tonal range .
RP is just right with the crop and the slight added mid tone , but i am with Steve about some more on both sides would not have hurt.

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
08-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Nice one Dumay - the pano crop works best for me and would have been my suggestion too, might take even more out if it were mine.

Dumay de Boulle
08-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys. Glad it has improved with comp. I will look at adding more on the sides.