PDA

View Full Version : Waving Grey Seal

Andreas Liedmann
08-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Caught this Grey Seal while he started the move with the flipper to finally scratch himself in the face , the typical pose of the Seals .
I post this because it looks different to the classical pose and think he just wanted to greet the viewers on the beach by waving his "Arms".

I actually would have preferred a cleaner FG , but the beach was looking that way in most parts .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 200- 400 IS L at 300 mm
Tripod

F 8 ; Iso 1600 ; 1/2500 sec , would not have needed the fast SS but action could have been possible at all times , so i kept the SS high.

Cropped for comp

Processed in DPP 4 and PS CC

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous thread .

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
08-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Cute pose and very well exposed, Andreas. :5
I wonder why the DOF falloff is so great even at f8/300mm that the seal isn't all in focus, given that it's lying almost perpendicular?
I'd shave some off the bottom to remove the white lower RHC?

Rachel Hollander
08-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Hi Andreas - I like this one a lot. Cute pose, the seaweed adds a splash of color and I like the water in the bg too. Nice detail and techs look good. Morkel raises an interesting question about dof.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Andreas, this is such a cool image. I like the 'wave' as if he is giving you a high-five! I like the color tones, the details and composition.

Dumay de Boulle
08-19-2014, 11:48 PM
I like this a lot. It posed for you almost model like. I like the wave and the only reason I think the DOF fell away so quickly was that you must have been very close....I like this one a lot.

Brendon Cremer
08-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Great image well exposed with good detail, agree with Morkel regarding a slight crop from the bottom, otherwise very nice

Steve Kaluski
08-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi Andreas, like the overall comp (maybe a little off the RHS?), but perhaps being slightly more elevated may have help with the FG and added a little more space between subject & the kelp? Nice warm tones, sets the white coat off well.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
08-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks to all of you for your comments , appreciate very single one.

With hindsight i agree with your thoughts on the LRC and Steve loosing some of the RHS.Going a bit elevated would have been better , like wise . But i hate going up and down with the tripod and the seals react quite sensitive when you move along the beach , or going up and down . Sometimes they even lift their heads when you just lift your head , and if it is really bad they move and i want to avoid that . So i look for a place and sit on the beach ,sometimes i change position very slowly .

So here is RP with removed kelp via cloning and cropping from RHS .

Cheers Andreas