PDA

View Full Version : Mara Elephant

Russell Johnson
08-19-2014, 03:39 AM
A young elephant from our Mara Plains trip in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy, probably the best game viewing area in the Mara ecosystem (sadly with a price to match)

1D Mark IV
100-400 @ 400mm
1/320, F6.3 ISO1250

Dumay de Boulle
08-19-2014, 04:30 AM
I love the head up pose from the youngster and the dry mud on the head adds nicely. I feel I would like to see more of the female and the IQ seems to be lacking slightly...not sure if its your sharpening technique. I would run some NR on the BG trees and sky as well. I love the tail up and red eye of the youngster. Nice one Russell.

Rachel Hollander
08-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Hi Russell - Nice to see you posting again. Love the youngster's pose, the texture and detail. Good observations by Dumay above. It looks like the adult may have been moving and that you needed a bit more ss. If it were mine I would back off on the contrast on the adult as it draws the eye away from the youngster. Looking forward to seeing more.

TFS,
Rachel

Neil Burton
08-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Looks like classic 100-400 Bokeh, but that little ellie is worth its weight in L lenses!!

Marc Mol
08-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Love the heads up, tail out look from the baby here Russell, lighting looks OK as well but do agree with Dumay's comments re, Mum.
TFS

Andreas Liedmann
08-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi Russell , lovely post after a longer time :e3.
The youngster is priceless , love the post with the tail up .Like the overall rich colors and texture in the youngster .
Good comments by the others regarding Noise and contrast on Mummy .

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
08-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Lovely pose and soft light here Russel.
I agree the BG looks a bit scrunchy, not sure if it's the high-ish ISO on the Mk4?

When were you there? You're wetting my appetite - heading to the Mara Triangle in a month! :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
08-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Hi Russell, I really like the composition and overall colours in this image. The expression of the little one is priceless, with a nice DoF, detail & tone. Mum to me looks just a little too 'processed' which I think can be addressed within the Exposure sliders (Blacks, Shadows & Contrast) in the RAW, just a thought.

Trust life & the 'little one' are all good, nice to have you back. :w3

Cheers
Steve