PDA

View Full Version : Hillsboro Lighthouse

Don Lacy
08-18-2014, 07:41 PM
I put the old saying its better to ask forgiveness then permission this morning when I parked on the side of the road and access the beach from an empty lot to get tis perspective of the Hillsboro Lighthouse. Now every inch of every beach in Florida is public property so technically there are no private beaches but gaining access to those beaches are a different story. So I knew I was pressing my luck when I read the sign were I was park that stated that for my protection the Hillsboro police may ask me to leave this area and failure to do so would be considered trespassing, since the sign was rather ambiguous I decided to chance it. Sure enough as I was packing up to leave I had a nice talk with a police officer who informed me that I was trespassing and not to do it again. Which sucks because I know I can get better images then the ones I got this morning but I am pretty sure they are not worth a fine. So here is a pretty standard post card image of the Hillsboro Lighthouse.

This is a two image blend one image for the whole image and another for the light atop the lighthouse
First image Canon 6D, 16-35 f/4, f/16 at 30s,Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 800, Tripod, Niks CEF 4 and about 6 adjustment layers.

Don Railton
08-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Hi Don,

Firstly, I can't believe you had to be 'moved on' from a public space...you have to be at least drunk and disorderly in Australia for that to happen, or maybe standing next to a military base with a long bit of glass..

I like the subtle little starburst at the base of the Light house, its like a cheeky little wink. I also like the detail, especially in the lighted area mid frame to the left. For my taste I would crop a little more off the bottom (to just a little above your name) so the rocks show more perspective and increase the 'draw' into the image. Thanks for showing and taking a chance with the Police....

regards

DON

Grady Weed
08-19-2014, 05:23 PM
I like it as is. The mood is good, nice light, love the bright light. A crop of the rocks from the bottom would put more focus on the lighthouse, bringing it forward. I to cannot believe you were told to move along. I lived there for 27 years, never knew a lighthouse was there.

Don Lacy
08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
I was told were I was parked was trespassing along with using the empty lot to gain access to the beach, the beach and the area I took the images from are public property. I was warned that if I used the lot again and or parked on the side of the road I would be trespassing I have a gut feeling they are loosely interpreting the law but it's not worth pushing it.

Morkel Erasmus
08-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Nice use of the leading line of rocks here, Don. Overall exposure and colours look good to me, and I enjoy the movement in the clouds.
It does look like the lighthouse is leaning slightly to the RHS? I would also have liked to see a version with the lighthouse slightly to the right of where you have it placed now - perhaps to achieve slightly better balance in the comp? :e3

Andrew McLachlan
08-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Hi Don, lovely work and worth the effort. Ditto on the slight lean of the lighthouse. Next time you stop you need to have a Woody Guthrie's 'This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land' playing on the car stereo :S3: