PDA

View Full Version : Another Blackie

Andreas Liedmann
08-18-2014, 10:13 AM
from the same location ,not far from the last spot.
In last light this guy wanted to come for drink , but some bigger guys with trunks have been telling him , he should not come to drink and look for another waterhole .
So he moved around the waterhole and finally after two rounds he disappeared into the bushes , and i had to rush back to the camp because it was already late as you can see by the low light.

Posted this frame or another of this sequence in the past , with some issues mentioned by you guys (maybe Steve will remember , too :bg3:).
So with todays knowledge /experience in PP work, i gave it another shot .

Processed in Canon DPP and PS CC ; cropped for leveling and comp , just slightly. Even if taken with ISO 6400 i used only Color NR in DPP and after downsampling i softened the BG /sky with the High Pass Filter at low percentage .

All LAB microscopic observations are more than welcome .

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
Ef 500 IS L
Window bracket /Gitzo Fluid Head

F 8 ; Iso 6400 ; 1 / 800 sec

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous post

Cheers Andreas

Dumay de Boulle
08-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Lovely clean surroundings and great light which gives the Rhino a red colour. I do see a bit of noise but it is expected at that ISO I would think

Rachel Hollander
08-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi Andreas - beautiful last light hitting the rhino and projecting that red color throughout. I like the walking pose. I too see some noise and would consider NR on the bg. I would also consider cropping half of the fg out because it is in shadow and fairly non-descript. I don't feel like it adds to the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-19-2014, 02:04 AM
Lovely light and pose of the rhino. Well composed and good walking pose.

Russell Johnson
08-19-2014, 03:33 AM
Hi Andreas,

Great light, pose and processing.

Would it be possible to extract more detail on the rhino's body, or does the high ISO prevent this?

Neil Burton
08-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Great light and pretty good IMO for ISO6400!

Andreas Liedmann
08-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks folks for sharing your thoughts and giving suggestions .

Rachel crop works for me , and specially regarding the ISO 6400 , want to avoid any cropping .Noise , for me it looks pretty good , no noise almost impossible , and i am with Steve now about the usage of NR filter at any stage in the workflow. And i will accept noise up to a certain level .But i followed your suggestion and add some NR to all but the subject.

Russell , i tried to extract some more detail , just for you , but think it is borderline , because clashing with the Noise will appear . As stated in my intro no luminance NR is used at all to the subject , just slightly to the BKG .And for that it looks pretty good to me.

So the RP has more detail in the Rhino and less noise in the surroundings plus i gave the mid tones a very slight kick with a plain curve by 2 points .

Thanks again , Andreas

Brendon Cremer
08-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Great image Andreas really nice light detail looks good to me and improved tones in the RP. Just to throw in another spanner here, i would really lose the sky, the rhino pops more for me without it, but more my own op.

Andreas Liedmann
08-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks Brendon , i am actually kind of afraid to do any cropping on this , due to ISO 6400 . Think it looks very good without big amount of NR .But i am with you about the sky , i could loose it and have a cleaner image all around :5. Good suggestion, maybe i will give it a shot and rework .

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
08-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Lovely light and scene. IQ looks good for the camera/techs, prefer the RP.

and i am with Steve now about the usage of NR filter at any stage in the workflow.

Please explain Andreas, I missed this? :Whoa!:

Andreas Liedmann
08-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi Morkel thanks for comment .
Regarding NR and Steve , if i understood him correctly he uses rarely NR on his images.
So i think i had a typo . :bg3:. Not meaning at ANY stage , sorry Morkel , good that you picked that up.
Just for clarifying i use hardly any NR , only with images like this and very low level .

Cheers Andreas