PDA

View Full Version : It's a 'Dogs' life

Steve Kaluski
08-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Following on from Rachel's series this was taken later on in the afternoon when the whole pack settled down and took some time out for some relaxation, but still occasionally interacted with each other.

Steve

Subject: African Wild dog pack, resting (Lycaon pictus)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 (200mm)
Exposure: 1/800s at f/8 ISO1600 EV -0.33
Original format: Landscape, almost FF

Rachel Hollander
08-18-2014, 06:41 AM
Hi Steve - yes, these two liked using each other as pillows. Colors and techs look spot on. You handled dappled light and exp well. The light hitting the eye makes this image.

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Needham
08-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Lovely image Steve. Tells a story about pack dynamics and like Rachel said, the catch light in the eye really makes this image stand out. Thumbs up!

Dumay de Boulle
08-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Beautiful texture and IQ....Colors look perfect. I love the fact that the one head is resting on the other. Tough to get clean unobstructed images out here in the South African bush...but man... the quality of our sightings sure make up for it.

Gabriela Plesea
08-18-2014, 12:20 PM
DOES IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS, STEVE?:bg3:

You know the techs are spot-on so I won't even go there:w3, it is I who needs help from you with the techs...

It's just that every time I see an image of WD from you or Rachel I think it is the best one, only to be surprised by another stunner in just a matter of days! I somehow hoped, or knew, that your trip was going to be rewarding and I am very enthusiastic about the images you both brought back.

This looks very well exposed, and even if you had to deal with some highlights during processing, whatever "tweaks" you might have applied are not obvious to me. For a moment I wondered why EV -0.33 but then realised you had to deal with the dappled light mentioned by Rachel above. I think I have learnt more from carefully assessing everyone's EXIF on BPN than reading my books:w3

I like the gentle mood of this scene, for it is the opposite of what we are accustomed to (wild dogs running, playing, chasing prey), the colours look natural and the pose from the two characters is very special, with the one on the RHS keeping an eye on the surroundings while the other is sleeping, which makes this also a behaviour shot IMO.

I look forward to more, wild dogs are very special and your images give them justice, congratulations Steve!

Warmest regards,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-19-2014, 02:06 AM
Hi Steve, I like the framing, the illuminated eye and the cozy pose. Techs superb as usual.

Russell Johnson
08-19-2014, 03:29 AM
Hi Steve,

The muted colours work well. The exposure looks good for dappled light as the natural colouration of a dog makes good exposure difficult in the best of circumstances.

Although not blown, I would see if you could work a little on the hotspots, and maybe getting a little more tonal range across the image.

Neil Burton
08-19-2014, 06:50 AM
That light on the eye, pose, comp. Spot on for me Stevo! ;)

Andreas Liedmann
08-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Hi Steve , i like the intimate dreamy looking dog the most with that nice resting on the other ones head . Whole thing is looking so peaceful.Would that have been great to have just the two ? i bet you would have liked it.
Good handling of the dappled light with a nice exposure , and the colors are reflecting the situation well as far as i can tell .The catchlight in the eye is the most important little part of the image and really brings life into it.
Very lovely processed and great sharpness, love this , meaning the selective sharpness.

You have very nice contrast and tones in the HL and shadows . Only thing is i am wondering if you are able to get more tonal variation into the 3/4 and 1/4 tones , but without losing the character of your processing .You could do better than i could , because if i do it i know i will go too far :bg3:, i just needs to be delicate i feel .

Very nice one Steve, specially from the processing POV.

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
08-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Tender moment here, and good use of the dappled light Steve.
I do wonder if just needs a touch more depth/contrast? It feels like it may have been lightened a tad too much? :e3

Steve Kaluski
08-20-2014, 02:06 AM
Thanks folks.

This looks very well exposed, and even if you had to deal with some highlights during processing, whatever "tweaks" you might have applied are not obvious to me. For a moment I wondered why EV -0.33 but then realised you had to deal with the dappled light mentioned by Rachel above. I think I have learnt more from carefully assessing everyone's EXIF on BPN than reading my books

Hi Gabriela, -0.33 was based on the Histogram/Exposure allowing me to get that edge to edge spread to capture as much 'data' as possible which then means very little 'tweaks' and retaining more mid tone where all the detail is. I now avoid adding any Black i.e. selective colour, or linear Curve and definitely NO Contrast as you know

Only thing is i am wondering if you are able to get more tonal variation into the 3/4 and 1/4 tones , but without losing the character of your processing .

Thank Andreas, I'm OK with the overall balance, I have concerns that pushing the 3/4 & 1/4 tones you go towards a more 'Contrasty' approach, albeit subtle. I might get you to try something, but it means you have to go back to LR, are you running the latest version, or are you wedded to DPP?

I do wonder if just needs a touch more depth/contrast? It feels like it may have been lightened a tad too much?

Nope, no lightening Morkel, I just strip out a lot of quietly embedded parts that LR adds without telling you, so you get a more 'cleaner' file to start with, plus I avoid NIK 99% of the time and toggle between LR & PS. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
08-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Hi Steve, i thought you are ok with the overall balance , i just got the idea to push it ever so slightly for a ever so slightly Oomph in the 3/4 and 1/4 tones.I am still impressed how you process your stuff very delicately , i just see things slightly different than you .Not thinking it would improve the image for sure ,but giving it a bit different character.

Just my thoughts.

Steve you will not get me to LR or ACR , i am wedded as you call it :bg3:.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
08-20-2014, 10:08 AM
LOL, the 'penny' (see the light) has I think began to drop, although still trying to get a better handle overall.

Steve you will not get me to LR or ACR , i am wedded as you call it

That's a real shame.