PDA

View Full Version : Male Bobolink

Geoffrey Montagu
08-17-2014, 10:12 AM
After sighting a male Bobolink little over a week ago, flying overhead at a nearby grassland amongst several females, he showed up again. Bit late in the season, but an interesting phase in molting. Every time he gave me a nice profile, the head turn was not showing the yellow patch at back of head. This image shows the fading yellow and blacks and progressively yellow patch becoming white. C&C welcome.

D700, Nikon 500mm + 1.4x tc, 1/640, f 7.1, ISO 800, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

Stu Bowie
08-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi Geoffrey, I like the pose looking down into the LRC, and interesting detail showing on the chest. I feel the overall image needs a touch of contrast, and maybe tone down the BG.

Mike Milicia
08-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Nice pose and perch, interesting plumage, and great comp ... seems a bit light overall to me.

gail bisson
08-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Not the most handsome guy but you have a lovely BG and perch.
I would reduce the brightness and or exposure on this and consider a vertical comp as well.
I feel the eye area could use a bit more sharpening,
Gail

Jeannean Ryman
08-17-2014, 05:02 PM
I'll echo Gail's suggestions, as those are what came to my mind when I looked at it. Glad he showed up again for you. :)

Dave Spates
08-17-2014, 09:11 PM
I've been after this bird for a couple months now with no luck on any good shots so that makes me jealous. Love the perch, head looks a tad soft, I'd clone out the lower out of focus bush in the bottom right hand corner though not a deal breaker.

Bill Dix
08-18-2014, 08:14 AM
My nemesis. Congrats on finally getting the male. This is good documentation of his molting plumage, even if not his most handsome phase. Assuming they return to the same spot next year, I'll have to try earlier in the summer. Good suggestions above.