PDA

View Full Version : Australian Fantail.

Don Railton
08-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Hi Guys

Looking for suggestions on what you would do with this image.. My self critique suggests the head angle is should be turned slightly more to the birds right, but the BG is my main concern.. what do you suggest other than not taking the shot...Hi Key, low key, some sort of blur, delete..?

1D4 & 500 F4 on Tripod with Wimberley head.
1/1000 @ F5.6 at ISO 2000

ACR in CS6 setting levels and WB, BG has had NR applied using Neat image and bird selectively sharpened using NIK package.
about 70% FF.

DON

Ian Wilson
08-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Hi Don, I am not sure how common this species is in the west but here it is very common. I would go out and have another go and try to capture the bird against a better background and make sure the tail was showing in open fan as the name suggests. Regards, Ian.

Karl Egressy
08-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Nice side view of the bird. Nice details in soft light. I would apply some Gaussian blur to the background if it were mine but it is a matter of taste.

Jeannean Ryman
08-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Tough background to work with, but if you don't see these often, you could do as Karl suggested and do some blur on the background. Maybe a slight vignette as well to bring focus more toward the bird.

Don Railton
08-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys.... I think I sort of knew it should be a delete, but I liked the bird detail and light so I was looking how to save it... I will try a blur, but... Ian, in the west (Perth) these are not common but also not difficult to find if looking in the right areas, so a I think a reshoot is the best call. Thanks again for your help..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geoffrey Montagu
08-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Don't delete yet. I agree, it's nice and sharp under some beautiful soft light, and would try Karl's suggestion first.

Geoffrey

gail bisson
08-17-2014, 02:41 PM
The bird looks great but the BG not so much!
My first thought was that I would like to see the fanned tail as the name implies.
Would love to see you post one with a fanned tail,
Gail

Don Railton
08-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Gail and Geoffrey... Thanks for the comments! Gail this bird is very active and flies in an unpredictable path and I have tried many time to track its erratic path with my 500, but alias its a shot I am still waiting to get. They catch flying insects and the Fan tail helps with manoverability, if not flying its neatly folded away.

DON

Stu Bowie
08-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi Don, I wouldnt delete this. To be honest, the bird really pops out, and the you have brought out the finer plumage detail nicely. HA works well enough, not quite looking either way. Sometimes we have no control on where our feathered friends decide to perch, so first take the shot to have it on your files, and then try your best to work the BG in post processing. Too much blurring will make it look un-natural, so its a fine line. Yes, waiting for a better BG would be first prize but it aint always possible. :w3

Don Railton
08-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks Stuart. I agree that excessive blur, lightening or darkening wont look right, a little may make the image a little better but... I will try a few of the suggestions however and then probably put the images under my 'almost' category.. Thanks for your comments..

DON