PDA

View Full Version : The Dying buffalo and the Ox-pecker.

Marc Mol
08-16-2014, 04:03 PM
This buffalo lay dying, its spine broken and encased in mud was one of 2 victims of a lion pride attack the evening before.
He eventually fell victim to crocodiles later that night.
Anthropomorphising here, one could almost imagine the Ox-pecker paying it's last respects to this hapless beast. Looking carefully one can also see a tear in this daga boys eye.

South Luangwa Nat Park- Zambia.

D3s 500 f/4 VRII 1/200s f/5.6 ISO800, BB from vehicle, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, lumo mask in ACR & PSCC.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

PS, for some reason I wasn't able to post @ 1200 wide? forced to resize down

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2014, 05:40 PM
A sensitive, frame-filling portrayal of the harsh realities of the African bush.
I presume the BG is dirty river water?
Nice light and colour balance and detail overall...the oxpecker and the tear being the cherries on top!

Don Railton
08-16-2014, 08:50 PM
This is a powerfully emotional image for me Marc... I think I am a big softie however and I often wonder how I would feel seeing a wildlife Kill, but the blank stare and the tear is drawing me in to the buffalo's plight. Well done to you on doing that to me...! I guess I should think more like the croc, we are going to eat tonight...!!

I don't know much about your Nikon gear capability, but I would have though you could have gone for a little more shutter speed at a higher ISO to try and freeze the movement in that Oxpecker..... But a wonderful image anyway..

regards

DON

Tobie Schalkwyk
08-16-2014, 11:58 PM
A great quality, touching scene Marc! It's almost as if the bird says "Common old boy, you can do it"! A pity that these giants must also reach their ends at some stage, but such is life! Well done on a nice shot! :5

Marc Mol
08-17-2014, 01:11 AM
Many thanks Morkel, Don & Tobie,

Agree on an increase in ISO and therefore extra S/S would have been preferable Don :w3
my own self crit- my cropping was from the sides only taking it down to 4:5 hence a little tight on top, an easy fix to add some canvas of course.

I presume the BG is dirty river water?

Correct :w3

Rachel Hollander
08-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Hi Marc - a powerful image made more poignant by the ox pecker and the tear. I am ok with the tightness/comp here though could also envision a version with a bit more room all around. Nice light and detail. I agree a little more ss would have frozen op. I think you could not post at 1200 px because the height is at 900 px which is the max height.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
08-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks Rachel

I think you could not post at 1200 px because the height is at 900 px which is the max height.

TFS,
Rachel

Yes, went back at checked that ........my height was initially 960, so makes sense.

Neil Burton
08-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Powerful image, the lighting, angle (or percieved angle) plus the aforementioned details just scream drama!

Gregor Bergquist
08-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Hi Marc

Very dramatic story. Knowing that story I look at the picture differently. Nonetheless, strong emotions, and the Oxpecker certainly looks like he is paying his last respects.
Good detail. But I do think the edges of his back, right above his head, looks a bit funny.

TFS, Gregor

Marc Mol
08-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks Gregor

But I do think the edges of his back, right above his head, looks a bit funny.

TFS, Gregor

Yes, noticed that for sure, it does look like it's been cloned/processed, but can assure its as is per the RAW file.:w3

Andreas Liedmann
08-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi Marc , taking a Metallica song title as reference : Sad but true....... Life can be tough if you are a wild animal.

Like the image in general and the Ox pecker is a really great addition .You handled the light situation quite well with good detail you extracted.Like the POV and the eye contact.

Watch for sharpening halo all around the head /horns. There is also a masking halo like gradient from the buff to the BKG , but not visible as presented here, just saw it is PS . Think that makes Gregor think the areas are cloned.Just my thoughts, maybe i am wrong with the halo .But i pushed the mid tone slider in levels to the right , you know what you can see then :w3, halos .

I still think , even if you do not :bg3:, i would tone down the blue /cyan component.

TFS Andreas

Mark Needham
08-18-2014, 01:29 AM
Such an emotional and powerful image conveying the harsh realities of life in the bush. The tear, oxpecker, mud, etc. all make this a thumbs up winner for me. I too see some slight halos around the horns and also a slight magenta cast between the eyes, but these are simple fixes. This and also your leopard (running down the tree) - two awesome back to back images, Marc! :bg3:

Marc Mol
08-18-2014, 03:04 AM
Thanks Andreas & Mark

Watch for sharpening halo all around the head /horns. There is also a masking halo like gradient from the buff to the BKG , but not visible as presented here, just saw it is PS . Think that makes Gregor think the areas are cloned.Just my thoughts, maybe i am wrong with the halo .But i pushed the mid tone slider in levels to the right , you know what you can see then :w3, halos .

TFS Andreas

There has been NO cloning, masking/edge sharpening of any kind, nor any masking/edge work regardless of what you're finding on your PS LAB microscope Andreas, some simple colour adj only.:w3

I still think , even if you do not :bg3:, i would tone down the blue /cyan component.

Let's not even go there :2eyes2:

I'm just not interested in the minute colour detail you keep seeing, which are completely natural to myself and (most) others here on BPN.

Dumay de Boulle
08-18-2014, 03:28 AM
Nice story and I like the tear. His eyes also tell a story...TFS Marc

Gabriela Plesea
08-18-2014, 11:23 AM
This is very moving, Marc. A Dagga Boy, perhaps a respected and feared member of his herd in better times, now lying in his mud grave. His only companion is a little oxpecker. I could write a whole story here, this truly moves me - you captured something very special and the oxpecker enhances the dramatic effect. In times of good health the Dagga Boy would have shaken his head, for these birds can be ticklish when pecking on the face. Instead he just looks at him, his dying breath not enough to chase the little intruder and maybe - just maybe - the beast is somehow glad for the company. A title comes to mind: "Face to face with Death".

It must have been quite emotional, watching. That golden sun adds a touch of gentle warmth, the face is in the shade - adds to the mood and cooperates with the story. And the tear, of course.

What can I say? I am no expert when it comes to techs but I can certainly recognise a good story - congratulations Marc.

Kind regards,

Marc Mol
08-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks Dumay & and Gabriela, your story telling is first rate and a wonderful interpretation. :5