PDA

View Full Version : Water Hyacinthe flower

Roy Priest
08-15-2014, 05:35 PM
I've had a small water feature on my back deck for years. I put in new plants every year and this is the first year I have had a water hyacinthe bloom. So I decided to take a pic or two. I am a complete novice in macro work, if this is indeed macro. Advice is welcome.
Nikon D4, tripod, remote trigger (wired), 1/30 @ F16, 60mm. 1/3 EV, ISO 100

Jonathan Ashton
08-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Roy the image is well composed but the exposure appears too low. On your techs you indicate 1/3EV, does this mean you over or underexposed by that amount.

Steve Maxson
08-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi Roy. For a "novice," you're off to a flying start with very good sharpness, DOF, comp, background and no noise! I'm not familiar with this particular flower, but it seems the the image could go a bit brighter overall. Nicely done!

Diane Miller
08-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Looks like wonderful sharpness and an interesting subject. I'd also like to see exposure increased. (You may have to tame the highlights in that case. That's not cheating, these days.)

Roy Priest
08-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My wife liked it a darker than I had it originally.:S3: How's this repost

Diane Miller
08-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Much better, for me! In a photograph, the viewer wants to see a full tonal range for a normally-lighted and toned subject. The histogram is a much better light meter than perception, which can be very relative.

But you (and your wife) be the judge -- scrolling between them here, which do you prefer?

Roy Priest
08-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Diane, I always liked the lighter version. My wife is now banished from making comments.:bg3: