PDA

View Full Version : STICKY GERANIUM

gary ellwein
08-14-2014, 04:17 PM
While grandchildren were scanning distant hills for wolves, I nosed around with my macro lens. We were in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone in mid July. The image was taken with waning light on a cloudy evening. D3s, Macro 105mm, f8, 1/40, iso 400, tripod. C&C appreciated.

Diane Miller
08-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Wonderful use of DOF -- it landed just right, for my tastes, on a very interesting composition! Maybe lower the exposure a tiny bit -- but high-key works here. Just a tiny bit. (Or maybe not...)

Dave Johnson
08-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Hello Gary, those tiny 'hairs' on the leaves have really helped to soften the oof parts and give it an extra soft and dreamy look which I really like. The bud is nice and sharp although once my eye saw those three 'bits' (two at the base of the bud and one on the left) I couldn't pull away from them. It's easy to say this sitting here and I very often get caught up in the moment and forget to do it myself, but I would've tried to blow the bits away which would've really helped to clean it up and make for less distraction. Cloning is an option if you're Ok with that(?) I love the hints of colour in the grey bkg. Overall, a nice image which imho would improve considerably with the eviction of those afore mentioned 'bits'. TFS,

DJ.

Jonathan Ashton
08-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Gary, this is just my opinion so please don't take it to heart!:S3: The two "flower" elements are crisp and interesting but the rest of the image is not subtle I find it a distraction.
I like the colours exposure etc but the OOF elements just keep pulling my eyes.