PDA

View Full Version : Coral Cove in BW #1 (also maiden voyage of 16-35 f/4 )

Don Lacy
08-14-2014, 01:55 PM
It has been too long since I have a posted a landscape image and had the time to comment on other images but I have the week off and a new lens to play with so hopefully I will have some new images to post in the coming days. Went to my favorite beach this morning to break in my 16-35 f/4 lens which I decided to get over the Zies 18mm after reading the outstanding reviews of this lens online, so far so good:S3:

This is a two image blend the fore ground f/16 at 1s and the sky f/16 at 1/6s, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 100, Tripod, I started this image out in color using Niks CE4 for tonal contrast and warmth and around four curve adjustments with mask to control tonalities. When I was done the image was ok a nice test of the lens and all but it really did not speak to me, so after staring at it I thought you know the reason why you set up this shot was the white rock amongst the darker coquina rock of the beach you're an idiot this should be in BW. So here is the BW version all told I spent about two to three hours on this image with about 12 adjustment layers so I hope you like it. I also have a tip for when you get stuck with an image sometimes the best thing you can do is get up and walk away from it for a few hours then come back to it with a fresh set of eyes.

Diane Miller
08-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Perfect image with perfect advice!! Great find, well executed! Those clouds are amazing, embracing the FG. Is there a squeak more to be had on top?

The lens does sound wonderful!

Don Railton
08-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Hi Don

Welcome back to you too.. This is a wonderful image...! well worth your time & effort I feel. I like the layers of detail drawing your eye in from the FG white rock and then the cloud folds over to bring you back to the start.. I have to admit 'walk away' method works for me also.

regards

DON

David Stephens
08-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Wonderful gradients and composition.

Andrew McLachlan
08-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Hi Don, no improvements required :) Perfectly placed cloud formations and the white rock nails it for me. Beautifully done!!!

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2014, 05:41 AM
Love this image, Don, and some sound advice to go with it.
I might go a little lighter on the top cloud, but that's personal taste, nice contrast and tonal range overall and the white rock really comes out as the subject here. :cheers:

Neil Burton
08-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Top cloud a little dark, a bit unreal, as Morkel says but a great view and the little white rock adds alot. After the reviews I am wondering if the Zeiss 21mm should go :o ?