PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Curious Yellow

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Folks,

Greetings. Some playing with the IR settings in Nik Color Efex, then some added detail with Silver Efex. Haven't hit on these colors before. Fog bank approaches with sun setting off to the right. Lighthouse Point, Santa Cruz.

Taken with an 85mm f/2.8 T/S tilted to limit dof with D810 1/1000 at f/3.3 ISO 800 HH

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Diane Miller
08-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Interesting idea. I love the tonalities, but nothing is happening in the upper 1/3...

How does OOF with tilt compare to a gradient with Gaussian or Lens Blur -- or whatever homebrew concoction you may have written?

Anita Bower
08-15-2014, 05:55 AM
I think this image would be improved by significant cropping from top and bottom, which would focus viewer on the interesting parts of the image. I'm surprised by the yellow.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Diane, Anita,

Thanks much for the comments. Agree that it could use some cropping.

Diane, The OOF from tilting is much like for the OOF character of untilted except it is on a different plane. A Gaussian blur would work if one could apply a gradient of radii with increasing radius from a "in focus" line that would change with varying depth (if that makes sense ;-). As such, the various Gaussian or so called Lens Blur filters would always fall short of actual lens blur. Tilt allows an adjustment of the focal plane which uses the real depth of the scene. The lens requires some patience (I'm not a particularly patient shooter) but gives interesting results. My favorite is tilting vertical to the scene which provides a remarkable wide dof in a corridor from top to bottom (that moves right to left as you "focus") but the sides drop off in focus rapidly. The OP was tilted horizontally. A vertical tilt might have had the lighthouse in focus, the water in the fg in focus as well as the clouds in the bg, but everything to the right or left OOF.

I'll be working with this lens a little... I'll see if I can get something else to post.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Diane Miller
08-15-2014, 02:19 PM
I was thinking (assuming?) that a linear gradient applied to a blurred layer would be very similar to the OOF nature of lens tilt. Need to do some experiments.

I got the new Canon 17mm TS-E a few months ago. Love the shift but seeing where focus lands when I tilt has been a challenge. Working on it. Found a good tutorial online and thought I bookmarked it, but didn't and now can't find it again.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Amazing those TS lens. You look like you have it mastered. I like the yellow and the quaint composition. Well done Michael. And thanks for sharing your techniques.