PDA

View Full Version : Jökulsárlón Lagoon, Iceland

Geoffrey Montagu
08-13-2014, 10:01 AM
This is my first post in Landscapes. While on a trip to Iceland in 2012, primarily to photograph birds, this was quite a sight having not seen a glacier in person. Being late June, the crack of dawn ( sun doesn't completely set this time of year), and overcast low ceiling, drifting icebergs………. C&C welcome.

D3s, Nikon 16/35mm at 35mm, 1/40, f 13, ISO 800, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

David Stephens
08-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for joining us with this nice contribution.

I really don't have much to say, other than, you've got the glacial colors right, super reflections in the water, great BG mountains, with some nice light on one of the slopes and part of the sky and good de-emphasis of the comparatively ordinary sky. I only wish that you'd gotten the slanting ice on the right all the way down to the water.

Don Railton
08-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Hi Geoffrey

Firstly welcome to landscapes... Looks like a nice location well photographed in pretty ordinary light. Nothing you can do about that but wait however... I like the reflection & ice forms and the light shining through those... If I had the opportunity I might have zoomed in on a few with longer glass...

hope to see more from here, as I have never seen an Iceberg 'in the flesh' so to speak..

regards

DON

Luis Patacao
08-14-2014, 04:34 AM
Welcome Geoffery, i haven`t much to add except that i think this could give a good BW conversion..

David Stephens
08-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Interesting comments. I think one of the points of shooting glacial ice is getting the color right, which you've done. Focusing on a specific piece of ice might be interesting, but that's a totally different shot. You've effectively shown the overall scene here and I like it a lot as is.

Don Lacy
08-14-2014, 02:15 PM
HI Geoffrey, Also would like to welcome to the landscape forum, agree with the others that this is a nice first image with some wonderful colors on the ice. If this was mine I would crop the bottom turning this into a pano presentation I feel this would give the image a greater sense of size and sweep.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks Everyone.

Geoffrey

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2014, 04:11 PM
A late welcome from me too, Geoffrey.
Some good points made above. As it stands I would do 2 things to slightly improve this image as presented:
1. crop some off the bottom
2. add some midtone contrast overall
Looking forward to more!

Andrew McLachlan
08-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Hi Geoffrey, a big welcome to the landscape forum from me as well. This is a lovely first post with great suggestions already given...my first thought was the same as Morkel's in that a little more mid-tone contrast is needed for a little more impact. Very nice work and looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Geoffrey Montagu
08-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks Everyone for your comments and taking the time to suggest some valuable input.

Geoffrey