PDA

View Full Version : mckee gardens

stuart wanuck
08-11-2014, 02:40 PM
nikon d 70
infrared

David Stephens
08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
I like the Contrast and subtle range of greys an blacks. Generally, I like the composition with nice positioning of the palm and foreground; however, I'd like a little more space above the palm and less of the darkest water at the bottom.

David Kenny
08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
I have always liked the infrared look when done right. I like the composition here but agree with David. A little off the bottom (just under the smaller lily pads). Those clouds in the background really add some drama to this shot.

Don Railton
08-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Stuart

Times two for me as well. I think the top of the palm so close to the top of frame bothers me most here, it leads my eye out of frame way too easily. It needs those wonderful clouds to return it . Cropping dark water off the bottom not so important for me however those remnants of the lakes edge along the bottom of frame and lower RHC definitely have to go..

I like the sharpness and starkness of this image in a surreal sort of way..

DON

Andrew McLachlan
08-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi Stuart, this is great!!! Ditto a little less on the bottom and a touch more on top,,both are easy fixes if you are not opposed to adding a bit of canvas on top. Look forward to more of these!

Don Nelson
08-12-2014, 10:59 PM
bunch of easy fixes that I agree with.
But wait a moment -- you posted a landscape format version of this over in "out of the box" that is just superb with paint effects. I prefer that one myself....after seeing that one previously, this very nice version just seems .... less impressive to me. ;-)

No, really, I do prefer the other version, although this one is also good. (and I should note that I am a 40 year veteran of "f64" style B&W...go figure why I like the painterly version better than a well crafted perfectly sharp B&W version here ;-) ;-)

Geoffrey Montagu
08-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Primeval! Your use of infrared in this composition is perfect. My only nits would be to crop the twigs at LRS, if you have a bit more room at top to open, and to darken cloud reflection to right of tree a little. Beautiful as posted.

Geoffrey

Don Lacy
08-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Love the tones of the infrared and totally agree with the others on the composition

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Loving the tones and drama here, even if it is a tad busy for my eyes Stuart.
If you have space all around, a slight CW rotation would make it seem more level (conceding that it might be an optical illusion depending on what you use as your horizon line).