PDA

View Full Version : Open wide...

Steve Kaluski
08-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Taken just over a month ago as they all now have fled to start their own lives, hopefully with the same area, albeit some distance apart.

Thanks to those who viewed & commented.

Steve

Subject: Little owlet being fed (Athene noctua)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 (TC deployed) Gitzo tripod/Uniqball head
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO1600
Original format: Landscape

Richard Flack
08-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Beautiful, intimate moment captured here Steve! If mine I would consider cloning out the two sticks between the two owls and do some more NR to the BG. Great stuff!

Gabriela Plesea
08-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Dear Steve,

This is another one of my favourites when it comes to your latest owl images, delightful capture of interaction between mother owl and owlet, love the closed eyes and I do not really mind the sticks Richard mentioned above - my eyes are drawn to the beaks and the moment of sharing a little morsel:S3:

Well processed and presented, always a pleasure to view:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Ian Wilson
08-12-2014, 02:40 AM
Good work Steve, wonderful capture. Nice to see an example of your work using the 200-400f/4 with multiplier. TFS. Regards, Ian.

Steve Kaluski
08-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Hi Folks thanks for swinging by.

Richard I'm OK about the noise level, I tend to avoid NR where possible, but not adverse to using it, as I sometime feel that when you see images with that 'silky' look with a very smooth BKG, it just doesn't look right, but again, personal preference. Regarding the two straw 'sticks', I see where you are coming from and posting here I agree, they could be pruned, but this was as supplied to the agency and they have a policy in no alterations, but again, different companies have different views, but yes for here they should be lost, thanks.

Gabriela, I wish I could compose your style of replies that are always a joy to read and often spoken from the heart, anyone outside of the Wildlife Forum is missing so much in not reading your thoughts, suggestions and vision, thanks. :5

Ian, I had to have the 500 surgically removed to use the 200-400 which was the lens of choice in SA a few months ago, as the flexibility is superb. Personally I find the sharpness not as crisp as a fixed lens as expected, but the versatility outweighs any issues. You can still get caught out, so the 500 is always close at hand. :S3:

cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
08-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Hi Steve - great interaction and your usual high level of techs. Glad to see you using the 200-400 with the owls too. I like the framing as is but also could see going a bit more pano with a crop from the top to place more emphasis on the owls.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
08-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Cheers Rachel, I had thought that, but just liked to gain more space & habitat. :S3:

Karl Egressy
08-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Lovely interaction.

David Salem
08-13-2014, 01:14 AM
Great looking feeding shot Steve. The open mouth and the closed eyes look great. My owls do the same thing when they feed, close their eyes for protection from the clamering babies. The details look good too.
I might be tempted to warm it up just a bit. Well done.