PDA

View Full Version : World Lion Day

Rachel Hollander
08-10-2014, 08:52 AM
According to National Geographic today is World Lion Day so I thought I would post a lion image. This one is of the male lion at the sighting we shared with Dumay in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa.

Canon 7D
300 II
1/1250
f5.6
ISO 400
Monopod from safari vehicle, cropped to vertical, luminosity masks, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, selective burning, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Nice details and framing here, Rachel, and the light was still pleasing.
How about burning some of the bright grasses and perhaps adding a slight dark vignette to focus the eyes more on the king here?

Thanks for posting, I will join you in a WLD post and share some more info :bg3:

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Excellent details and pose Rachel. The was nice & directional I guess giving good depth to the image. Thanks for sharing info about world lion day!

BenBotha
08-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Lovely, sharp image! Side lighting handled well. ? Lighten the eye in the shadow a little?

Ben

Rachel Hollander
08-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks Morkel, Sanjeev and Ben for the comments and suggestions. As always, they are very much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
08-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Hello Rachel!

As I was catching up with the latest posts your title here caught my eye, I did not know there was a World Lion Day! To me every day is a Lion Day and I appreciate a lion image any time:w3, so Thank You!

This is lovely and I really like the eye contact here, techs are spot on and there's enough detail in the shadow areas as far as I am concerned. Would like to see Morkel's idea of a vignette implemented, if possible. Not sure about lightening the other eye though, it might make things look a bit unnatural? Looking forward to see what the other members think, I have no crits really here, subject well exposed, image well processed and presented!

Warmest regards,

Andreas Liedmann
08-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Hi Rachel i like the eye contact in this one and you handled the very nice sidelight ( i like that more than head on light ) really good.Good job in post and capture.
But i would expect deeper shadows in this kind of situation.
The whole image is a tad too much tone in tone /color , i think changing something in the BG would help to make the king more pop.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
08-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Hi Rachel, cool image, like the head on, face to camera, all works nicely. Great to see Dumay, I think we should try and coax him back in.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Thanks Gabriela, Andreas and Steve :wave:

Dumay de Boulle
08-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Lovely light, lovely detail and lovely looking boy...Nice one!

Rachel Hollander
08-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks Dumay. I hope you got your new kit and will share some images soon.

Cheers,
Rachel