PDA

View Full Version : Himalayan Vulture, Qinghai, China

Craig Brelsford
08-09-2014, 04:07 AM
It pays to be in good shape on the Tibetan Plateau. We saw Himalayan Vultures (高山兀鹫, gāoshān wùjiù, Gyps himalayensis) perching on hilltops near the road. Elevation: a lofty 4380 m. I wasn't going to miss a chance to get close to these imposing birds. I walked straight up the hill, stopping only when I began to feel dizzy, catching my breath, then continuing. Usually one sees these common birds soaring hundreds of meters above; here, I managed to capture the bird taking off. I found this vulture at Qīngshuǐhé (清水河), Qinghai, China. Nikon D3S, 600 mm, F/9, 1/3200, ISO 1600, hand-held.

Satish Ranadive
08-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Absolutely superb take off pose.
I like the wing position, HA ,beautiful colors, inclusion of hill top with green vegetation and nice BG.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
08-09-2014, 04:43 PM
very nice, TFS species from China we often don't see on this forum, it must have been quite a challenge to hike with the Nikon 600 and then handhold it. You got good exposure, details and I like the darker clouds in the BG. I might crop this one tighter removing space from top and left a bit

christopher galeski
08-09-2014, 11:37 PM
good capture,nice flight pose with good detail,TFS.

Richard Flack
08-10-2014, 06:07 AM
Awesome shot Craig and even more impressive given the landscape. Lovely wing position and BG. Love the inclusion of the hill top. TFS

Marina Scarr
08-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Killer wing position and composition here. Great to see a new species from China. You could do as Arash suggests with your crop which would show off your bird more, but the OP works as well.

Stu Bowie
08-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Hi Craig, I like this flight pose, and overall well exposed and sharp. Good job climbing to that altitude, and I can only imagine was lies below the 'edge' of the plateau you shot this from.

Bill Dix
08-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Imposing vulture, indeed. Thanks for sharing this species. Great flight position, and the inclusion of the hill is very nice. I agree with the crop suggestions above if the IQ holds.